TechSpot

which has a longer life - tft or crt?

By vega
May 16, 2005
  1. My friend and I are currently locked in an argument concerning the longevity of tft monitors over crt - I say that tft's fade gradually and this is hastened by prolongued use, my reasoning is that my friends budget plasma screen tv which is nearly two years old is already showing signs of fading and as far as I know, plasma and tft share the same traits ( I think).
    My friend claims that tft have absolutely no life issues and can be safely used indefinitely - anyone out there with answers?

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

LCD (TFT) technology is completely different from plasma..

As for the lifetime.. Noone knows how the things manufactured today will perform over the years. Even if we have the experience of LCDs and CRTs manufactured years ago the equivalent devices made today have completely different characteristics. Plus there are difference between a TFT and a TFT and a CRT and a CRT.

The TFT no life issues is false of course. The lamps are a sure thing to die in TFTs sooner or later for example.

3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Take a look HERE for this exact discussion.

I agree with Nodsu that plasma screens are a completely different technology. They are also prone to burn in, especially if it`s one of the more budget priced screens.

It would seem that the draw back of tft monitors is that they do tend to develop dead pixels over time. Also I personally don`t think they are as sharp as crt`s, and obviously there isn`t any problem with viewing angles with a crt as with tft.

If you look around on the net you will notice that the warranties for both tft and crt are about the same. Three years being the norm, except for some sony tft`s that have a five year warranty.

Regards Howard :cool:

4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Would it now?

From what I've seen, the displays usually have dead pixels right from the start. Of course the pixels die easily from physical damage, too.

I don't have a single dead or even malfunctioning subpixel in my display, and it has a total 5,760,000 of them. It's two and half years old, too.

I'd say the backlight is the weakest link in TFT displays. Its brightness decreases over time, but I don't know how long they're rated to last. I keep brightness at the lowest level on my laptop and usually only up to 1/3 on my desktop display, it might have helped prolonging their lives.

:confused:

Many TFTs today have viewing angle of 170°. How much would you need, 360° ?

5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hiya Mict.

I`ve never owned a tft, my coments are based on what I`ve read.

As for the dead pixels maybe you`ve just been lucky I don`t know.

And as for viewing angles. Yeah 360° would be great lol

Regards Howard :haha: :haha:

6. Sab3r

Sab3r TS Rookie Posts: 72

hhmmm, personelly I don't like TFT's cause they aren't as sharp as a flat screen
    crt.
    My parents have a TFT screen and when you look at from a different angle it
    turns darker and if you try looking at it straight then it'll be dark on the bottom
    and light at the top of the screen, since i'm playing games all the freakin time
    I kinda need a screen that doesn't do that ;) .

anyway I prefer a flat crt, kinda depends though if you have the space for a crt.

Imo anyway. :wave:

7. vega

vega TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 160

Thanks for the input guys,From what I can gather, the overall consensus is that tft monitors have a much shorter life than crt especially when used on a regular basis - shame really as I class myself as an avid gamer, spending 2hrs+ a day on my computer and was eyeing up the new Dell 24in widescreen monitor but the prospect of spending £800 on a monitor with no assurance on longevity suddenly does'nt appeal.

8. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

I bought my 19" (18" vis.) Sony Multiscan 420GS with flat Trinitron screen in 1998.
    It is on for an avarage of 10 hours a day, and its quality today is as sharp and clear as when I bought it!
    I have always run it at 1024x768 at True Colour(32-bit) and a refreshing rate of 85.
    I have only ever used Matrox graphics cards (currently G550 AGP).
    The rest of the family also have Sony monitors. A bit more expensive to buy, but their quality is unsurpassed, in my opinion.

9. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,427

I've got a Gateway 19" TFT and it came with no dead pixels and still doesn't have any two and a half years later. I play games all the time and I wouldn't want to ever go back to a CRT. It's as sharp as I remember my last CRT being, at least it's sharp enough to satisfy me, and I've never seen any difference in the brightness at the top and bottom of the screen. As far as viewing angle, it's bright as far as I can read anything on the screen from the side anyway, and hey, I don't look at it from there anyway.

10. Sab3r

Sab3r TS Rookie Posts: 72

Maybe my parents got a crap TFT?
    but you can really see difference in dark and
    light even if you just look at it.

I still have a crt with a.... how do you call that in english... erm a round screen?
    anyway its gone a bit blurry in the corner allthough parents had exactly the same
    monitor theirs broke after a year or so and mine still works after 5 years.
    It works as in it does what its supposed to do :rolleyes: .

I'm going to buy myself a 19" Flat screen CRT which I think is best for gaming,
    In my opnion anyway.

bye :wave:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.