Which is the "best" DSL/ADSL modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

We signed up for DSL internet service many, many moons ago...I'd guess about 2002-2003. We always an issue with our modem, but it wasn't a critical problem (just a hang at startup while the modem failed to refresh the ip address and timed out), so we never bothered with it.

Well now, I might as well get the darn problem fixed. It seems to me that most of the dsl modems are discontinued...

Of the ones that are still available, which would you guys pick and where can I find it?

Anything under $100 is acceptable.

Also, secondary dumbsh*t question, because I know nothing about networking: DSL wouldn't work on a cable modem, would it? If it does, that solves all my problems...lol.

Thank you very much in advance! :)

Before you run off and buy a DSL modem, confirm what you can use from your IP first.Some companies insist that you use their hardware.
No you cannot use a Cable modem on a DSL line .
There is no such thing as a Dumb question as long as you use the Search system before you ask.

no dsl will not work with cable
if you plan on maybe getting voip you may want to look for a modem with those features.
I would get a newer cheap one that your provider supports and invest in a router
its not the modem IE it's the software that is used to config it thats sucks
the router will be used as the dialup so to speak or better word the connecter to host
so check with your provider and see what they want you to use and look on ebay for a good deal
95% of my equipment is from ebay the rest is from newegg
last month I got a 400.00 USD KVM for under 70
my next buy is a 3 ghz P4

The IP address problem had nothing to do with your modem BTW. It was the router part of your modem+router device that failed. A DSL/cable modem is a rather dumb device and they all work the same. It is all the extra hardware that does the work.

You should buy the modem and router separately. This way you don't have to replace the whole lot if something breaks. Plus, you can use the router with any kind of internet connection while a modem+router solution would limit you to a certain type only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back