TechSpot

Which mobo for Core 2 Duo?

By cj20032005
Feb 10, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RUDEBWOY

RUDEBWOY TS Rookie Posts: 394

i had that processor and got rid of it for the 2.6 ghz but i must say it does its just its really fast and i never over clocked it btw..and u can get a asus p5b mobo for it which is a pretty decent price.
  2. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 1,094

The difference between the E6300 and E6400 is negligable. I'd shoot for the E6300.

For your motherboard could a reccomend a Gigabyte Technology. Its about $130, a little more than you intended to spend but it really is the best board around.
  3. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

If you want to overclock that processor, the best one would be the E6400, because it has a higher multiplier (easier overclock) than the E6300.
    But if you're really interested on overclocking, the Core 2 E4300 is the best choice, because it has a 9x multiplier, so you can buy a cheaper motherboard, and still be able to clock it around 2.7-3.0 Ghz.

If you don't want to overclock at all, then you can get the E6300, and this Gigabyte motherboard (I have it, and it's very good):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128017

Regards :wave:
  4. Chimworth

Chimworth TS Rookie Posts: 32

I agree with Wolfram, 6400 is the lowest I would go and for the price it looks like a good set up. Keep in mind that using a P965 board that your're graphics card choice should be ATI, Nvidia fans would want to go with an eVGA 680i.
  5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

The E6400 has a slightly higher multiplier which means more overclocking headroom. It can be OC'd to ~2.2GHz easily on air and stock cooling and can go higher if u get a custom HSF. I wouldn't recommend the 680i it's a waste of money for features that are meant only for hardcore enthusiasts plus the northbridge gets really hot, really fast. The P965 is a tried and trusted, affordable chipset and the ASUS P5B and GigaByte DS3 are great mobos based on it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.