TechSpot

Which mobo for Core 2 Duo?

By cj20032005
Feb 10, 2007
  1. RUDEBWOY

RUDEBWOY TS Rookie Posts: 160

i had that processor and got rid of it for the 2.6 ghz but i must say it does its just its really fast and i never over clocked it btw..and u can get a asus p5b mobo for it which is a pretty decent price.

2. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 822

The difference between the E6300 and E6400 is negligable. I'd shoot for the E6300.

For your motherboard could a reccomend a Gigabyte Technology. Its about $130, a little more than you intended to spend but it really is the best board around.

3. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

If you want to overclock that processor, the best one would be the E6400, because it has a higher multiplier (easier overclock) than the E6300.
    But if you're really interested on overclocking, the Core 2 E4300 is the best choice, because it has a 9x multiplier, so you can buy a cheaper motherboard, and still be able to clock it around 2.7-3.0 Ghz.

If you don't want to overclock at all, then you can get the E6300, and this Gigabyte motherboard (I have it, and it's very good):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128017

Regards :wave:

4. Chimworth

Chimworth TS Rookie Posts: 19

I agree with Wolfram, 6400 is the lowest I would go and for the price it looks like a good set up. Keep in mind that using a P965 board that your're graphics card choice should be ATI, Nvidia fans would want to go with an eVGA 680i.

5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,429   +27

The E6400 has a slightly higher multiplier which means more overclocking headroom. It can be OC'd to ~2.2GHz easily on air and stock cooling and can go higher if u get a custom HSF. I wouldn't recommend the 680i it's a waste of money for features that are meant only for hardcore enthusiasts plus the northbridge gets really hot, really fast. The P965 is a tried and trusted, affordable chipset and the ASUS P5B and GigaByte DS3 are great mobos based on it.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.