TechSpot

Which MOBO to get???

By skitzo_zac
Dec 8, 2006
  1. i am currently looking into buying a new system primarily for gaming, i have selected all my parts apart from a mobo.

I am looking at Abit AW9D-MAX or ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP or Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

Other specs of the system are:
    Case - Antec Nine Hundred
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
    GPU - XFX 8800GTS or Radeon x19050 PRO
    HDD - Seagate 7200.10 320Gb 16Mb SATA II
    DVD - LITEON SHM-165P6S 16x DVD-RW Dual Layer Black
    RAM - G.Skill 1GBNR PC6400 1024Mb/1Gb 2x512Mb DDR2

2. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,273

Hmm... If price is no problem you should get this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131074

It has 3 PCI-e slots ( 2 for SLI / Crossfire and 1 for A physics card but those are a piece of crap :haha: )

But if you only have to choose from the 3 you put get the Abit AW9D-MAX

Also to power all that stuff you'll need a GOOD PSU so get one that has like 800w or something

3. skitzo_zac

skitzo_zac TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 418

mm i like the striker extreme i have looked at it before but that is definately out of budget which is $2000 AUD, that has to include everything! and PSU wise i was thinking about going with a Antec NEO HE Highly Efficient 2.2 550w
    So it looks like in giong with the Abit then.

4. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

i'd go with the ASUS P5N32-E SLI instead ($300 USD), which is already plenty of $$$ for a mobo.

i would go with two 160GB drives and run them in a raid0 array, providing a massive increase in performance and giving you a single 320GB volume.

the antec neopower 550w is fine, but if you want to run SLI i'd reccomend the pc power & cooling silencer 750w (www.pcpowercooling.com) or higher. check out their website, they make the best products in the industry.

5. skitzo_zac

P5N32-E SLI is that the 680i SLI one? the one below the striker? and well $300 us is porly a bit outa my budget, i onyl wanna be spendin $300 AUD max on a mobo, i was thinkin bout Raiding sum drives for the first time just for the experience of doing it. i didnt know it would beneift me performance wise.

6. zephead

genuine raid0 is definitely going to produce a noticable increase in performance. but if your controller supports JBOD (just a bunch of disks) mode only performance will not increase. both asus boards mentioned here support standard raid0

7. skitzo_zac

hmmm well, apparently the Abit is my best option there, but u cant run dual graphics with full 16x PCI-E lanes with it only 8x with dual cards, does that matter? would i be better getting a mobo with full 16x lanes? and i'll get 2 160 gb HDD's and run them in raid if its finiacially more beneficiall to me rather than buying 1 320 gb.

8. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,273

Yes getting full 16x lanes is better then 8x

9. zephead

it's cheaper to get one big drive, but for the few extra bucks the performance is definitely worth it.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.