Which one?

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to put this but, I need some help. (Not urgent) So I was thinking of buying a new laptop because.. Let's face it, my current one is crap. I'm debating whether I should get the 'Dell XPS 13', 'Asus K501UX', or the 'Dell Inspiron 15 7000 7559'.These are the specs and prices (on ebay): (By the way, this is in Australia Dollars)

Dell XPS 13 - $1 599
Display - 13" 1920x1080 Infinity Display
CPU/Video Card - Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
RAM - 8GB
SSD - 256GB
Processor - 6th Generation Intel Core i5-6200U

Asus K501UX - $1 249
Display - 15.6"
CPU/Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M
RAM - 8GB
SDD - 256GB (There is an extra slot for you to put in extra SSD, if you want.)
Processor - 6th Generation Intel Core i5

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 7559 - $1 349
Display - 15.6" 1920x1080
CPU/Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
RAM - 8GB
HDD - 1TB Hybrid with 8GB Flash
Processor - 6th Generation Intel Core i7 6700HQ Skylake Processor

I'll mostly be using it for gaming, recording, editing, and sometimes watching videos.

Last edited:
It would be easier to recommend them if you posted the specs - specifically the display size and resolution, CPU, RAM, SSD/Hard disk capacity and whether or not it has a dedicated GPU - and the model of it.

Without this the prices above are meaningless, I'm afraid.

It would be easier to recommend them if you posted the specs - specifically the display size and resolution, CPU, RAM, SSD/Hard disk capacity and whether or not it has a dedicated GPU - and the model of it.

Without this the prices above are meaningless, I'm afraid.
Aight, I've added the specs.

Thanks. This is the one I'd recommend:

RAM - 8GB

My reasons for this are:
1. It has the stronger CPU, as well as Hyper-Threading, giving you 8 threads - great for video editing.
2. It also has the strongest GPU of all three models. Essential if you want to game at even moderate resolution/settings.
3. The lack of true flash storage is made up for with the FHD display, high-end CPU and decent mGPU.

The Dell XPS would be awful for gaming as it doesn't offer a dedicated GPU and it's overpriced/wrong laptop format for your intended usage as well.

Thanks. This is the one I'd recommend:

RAM - 8GB

My reasons for this are:
1. It has the stronger CPU, as well as Hyper-Threading, giving you 8 threads - great for video editing.
2. It also has the strongest GPU of all three models. Essential if you want to game at even moderate resolution/settings.
3. The lack of true flash storage is made up for with the FHD display, high-end CPU and decent mGPU.

The Dell XPS would be awful for gaming as it doesn't offer a dedicated GPU and it's overpriced/wrong laptop format for your intended usage as well.
Ah, okay thank you very much! :)

I usually go with Asus so I may be biased.
I'd prefer the lighter Asus (1 pound makes a difference, being <5 pounds would've been ideal compared to what I used in college (N51SV)). I'd also choose the Asus because of the i7, which uses less power and should have a longer battery life, also important for portability.
There's some differences in keyboard layout, Asus also wins in this. If you're gaming, the Dell is a better choice with a far better graphics card. I think it also looks nicer.

I'm in agreement with leeky, the Dell 15 wins hands down out of those. They negative about the the hybrid HDD shouldnt put you off as you could upgrade to an SSD at a later date. SSD prices are almost rock bottom now too.

Back