TechSpot

Which part could be blown?

By Devonsteele
Jun 16, 2008
  1. Hello i had given my girlfriend my old computer and of course.... (i think she broke it LOL) So it will not turn on. I know the power supply is working because the light comes on, i do not think i could see a light on the mother board and i was sure it had one to tell that it was getting pwer to it. I guess it could be the cpu but i doubt it.

So in trying to figure out what is wrong, is there a guess? I assume the memory could stop it from running but it doesnt make sence, would the logical thing be that the mother board blew out? It is a little older DFI mother board.

Any help would be grateful as she is begging me to fix it but i dont want to but 700 bucks worth of stuff and it be the one thing and be out of the money lol.

2. Spyder_1386

Spyder_1386 TS Rookie Posts: 498

Hey Devonsteele

From what you've said it sounds like a Motherboard issue.... might be a power surge problem. Either way, you'd have to take it in to get it tested.... don't think there's any way around this one.

Good luck

Spyder_1386 :)

3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,899   +338

That a light comes on does not mean your power supply is working properly. It's more complicated than that. You can either buy a power supply tester or swap the PSU out for a known good one and see what happens.

4. lano15

lano15 TS Rookie

swaping out parts is a great way to solve issues

5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,976   +1,567

Just Joking.....I Think.......

Or maybe a great way to ruin more parts, it does somewhat depend on the particular situation.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.