Which SATA Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vassil3427

Well with the recent death of my HDD I have decided from now on I will have a backup drive, so when my rma returns that will be my backup drive. However I am purchasing a new mobo and processor which supports SATA. My question, which SATA drive should I get? Size doesnt matter that much, I dont have alot to store... Thx in advance...

The 72GB Raptor is better, and quieter, as it uses Fluid Dynamic Bearing motors. The Raptors are very fast, but cost a lot for very little storage space, though you do get a 5 year warranty. I don't own one, and I'm not sure that I would ever buy one due to the 10,000 rpm spin speeds, which I would expect to be very noisy. I personally find all 7,200 rpm drives to be very noisy, but only if you have a silent PC. The older 5400 rpm drives really are silent by comparison, but performance suffers, so most users will avoid these. If you've got the dosh, then get the Raptor.

Well see I'm on a limited bugdet, so i cant spend more than around $120, which is why I was looking at the 36GB version of the raptor, I'll have my other 100GB hdd hooked up too.

Can you recommend any other SATA drives though? I'm looking more for performance...

Bleh, sorry vassil for not replying sooner (especially to your PM - I opened it, started to reply, then had to go, and forgot about it :eek:)

But I would say get the 36G Raptor. Seems like it's perfect for what you need - you said you didn't have alot of money and didn't need alot of space. But you've probably bought something by now and my comments are to no end :(

And, Nic, I personally have a 74GB Raptor, and I don't hear it over the rest of my computer, which is not at all loud in perspective. When I first got it, there was a clicking noise during seeking, but that went away in under a week. In fact, I just took the side cover off and put my ear up to it. I could hear it, but the sound was distinct from the four other 7200RPM HDDs in my machine, and I would tell if it stood out. I heard they only whine if they're not cooled properly. In my case I have an 80mm intake fan cooling both my 74GB Raptor and my 120GB WD SE.

I'm running Western Difital Caviar 80 GB and 250 GB 7200 RPM SATA hard drives and I love them...the Raptors are faster of course, but it depends on what you want to use them for. The Caviar's give me all I need currently...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back