TechSpot

Which Soundcard to buy?

By josbd
Jun 21, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. At the outset, I should say I am interested in good quality music playback, rather than surround sound for gaming.

I have an old SB Audigy, and would now like to upgrade. I don't have a whole heap of money, but am not sure whether merely swapping for an Audigy 2 of whichever type would make much difference. ie would it be worth saving up for something rather better?

Therefore, any suggestions and experiences would be much appreciated!

:D

2. kol_indian

kol_indian TS Rookie Posts: 368

an audigy witha audigy2 sounds really good, but there are many other options like going for a better digital speaker system, then as a last measure try getting the audigy2

3. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Get a Via Envy24 based card such as the Fortissimo IV by Hercules. Much better sound quality then Creative cards & at least you still have EAX 2.0 support. :p

4. josbd

josbd TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 289

It is only a pity that you can't audition these things as you would with a piece of hi-fi kit, but there we go.

I thought the Fortissimo was aimed at gamers?

Would I be correct in thinking that those of us who are interested in listening to high quality music are pretty poorly served?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.