TechSpot

Which Soundcard??

By InsaneMonkeyBoy
Oct 30, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi evry1, I need advice on buying a new soundcard and i thought with evry1's opinions i might be able to get all the ideas together and be sure i've made the right choice.

As you can see I hav gone pretty wild with my PC but that's cause i've been saving up BIG :grinthumb Anyway I'm thinking of getting a 7.1 card and i've heard of the m-audio revolution card. Is that any good? Also for £50 there is a Hercules Digifire 7.1 card, is that a bad card due to the low price or is just as good as others? Lastly, i dunno much about the audigy cards so if anyone could tell me about those i'd appreciate it.
  2. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

The Best Soundcard? IMHO, i don't think there's such a thing like the best soundcard. It all boils down to how much you are willing to use, what's the purpose and etc.

What your budget anyway? Are you planning to buy good quality speakers?
  3. InsaneMonkeyBoy

InsaneMonkeyBoy Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 201

4. young&wild

I am pretty curious. Why is there a need to get a 7.1 system when you only listen to mp3's and play games with it?
  5. BrownPaper

BrownPaper Newcomer, in training Posts: 467

past inspire speakers had paper cones. it's relatively cheap but i'm not really confident in the sound quality.
  6. InsaneMonkeyBoy

Well I want to get one now cause I like the surround sound. Also it won't be a long time until 7.1 is on games. Doom 3 has 5.1. But my main target is not so much the speakers but the soundcard.
  7. young&wild

If i were you, i'll try to get a balance between the soundcard and the speakers. If one of them is too good and the other is of lower than average quality, each can't take full advantage of one another. Therefore, you can't get the best out of the two. I would try to stay as far as possible away from the Inspire range, you don't get what you pay for, at certain times, it even worse than the older Cambrigde Soundworks.

Most games are still 4.1 if i m not mistaken 5.1 is a new thing, it will a very long time before games get to 7.1(correct me if im wrong) as there is 6.1.

The Hercules Digitfire is just another Hercules Fortissimo 3 slapped with an additional firewire feature. For that price, its really a bargain.

I own a Hercules Fortissimo 3, the sound quality is just superb when used with my Altec Lansing 641.
  8. Greeno

Greeno Newcomer, in training Posts: 394

Audigy 2 :)
  9. young&wild

Audigy 2 doesn't support 7.1, but Audigy 2 ZS does ;).
  10. InsaneMonkeyBoy

ummmm well...................where can i find good speakers to match the fortissimo 3?
  11. young&wild

I would recommend a 5.1 as there are not many range of good 6.1 and 7.1 speakers out there in the mean time. A 5.1 should last you pretty long.

Here a list of recommended speakers, however i m not too sure about the price back in England, hopefully at least one of them is within your budget.

i)
    Logitech Z-680
    ii) Creative MegaWorks THX 5.1 550
    iii) Altec Lansing 5100

12. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,327

If you want 7.1 support in games then you need a Soundcard that supports 7.1 in games, only the Audigy 2 ZS does this (Doom 3 uses its own custom 3D audio engine, which will ironically "only" do 5.1 at most).
    As a result any of your games that support DirectSound 3D/OpenAL will be able to use it "now", e.g. Soldier of Fortune 2, Unreal Tournament 2003, etc.
  13. InsaneMonkeyBoy

Ok

Ok thanks for all the info evry1, I'll check out those links too young & wild.

Cheers!
    :grinthumb
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.