Which upgrade is better?

By MetalX
May 18, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have the choice of two possible upgrades in about 2 months. I can either get a second 7950GT for SLI, an SLI PSU, and a Athlon 64 X2 3800+,

OR

I can get a Core 2 E4300, ASUS P5B, and 2GB OCZ Value DDR2-667. Based on my system specs in my profile or signature... which is better?

EDIT: June 2nd, 2007 2:56PM EST -- Please read down to the bottom... the situation has changed quite a few times ;)
  2. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,262   +41

Well you could overclock the 4300 to 2.8 on air, and the 2 gigs r good too, What are you playing that needs more than one 7950?
  3. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,909

I already have 2 gigs, and FEAR seems to lag a bit if I put it on max (35-40FPS in big action) in online games with 12 or more players... I fix it by playing on minimum... but I dearly want to play on max :( Just wondering which is the OVERALL better upgrade, not just the better one based on a few circumstances...
  4. Grafficks

Grafficks Newcomer, in training Posts: 454

The Core 2 Duo outperforms the Athlon 64 X2. You know this already.

The question is: should you get a good processor while keeping your current graphics configuration, or go for a lesser processor and get more gaming performance.

Since you asked which is better for an overall upgrade, my vote goes to the E4300 plan. The overall performance of your PC is largely dependent on the CPU, and I'm sure a Core 2 Duo (plus some overclocking maybe?) will give you more of an overall boost in performance.

Turn down those settings and live with your 7950GT for a bit longer :).
    Besides, shouldn't you be saving up for that 8800GTX?
  5. LinkedKube

I'd go with the c2d if i were you
  6. MetalX

Yea, I think I will go with the C2D. But just wondering, how far will I be able to overclock it with an ASUS P5B (P965 chipset)?

Also...
    What 8800GTX? Who said I wanted one of those?
  7. kitty500cat

kitty500cat Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,407   +6

I recommend the Core 2 Duo.

See this article.
  8. LinkedKube

on the asus psb u can get a 70% overclock on that badboy with a decent wind tunnel in your case, and higher on liquid. My brother overclocked his 4300 on to right under 4Gz with his coolit eliminator, I highly recommend the board if you want to get to 3Ghz
  9. kitty500cat

kitty500cat Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,407   +6

That's cool.

I think this further confirms that the Core 2 Duo is the way to go.
  10. MetalX

So ASUS P5Bs are good for overclocking/performance?
  11. LinkedKube

yeah, I'm thinking of buying the wifi edition just so I can overclock my quad to 4Ghz+

12. MetalX

Which should I get if I can get a P5B for a total of $150 or a Gigabyte GA 965P DS3 for $200, assuming I want to save money, but don't want to totally overlook performance to do so?

In other words, is the Gigabyte worth the extra money considering I have to go over my budget, wait another month and a half for the upgrade, and order it from online so I have to pay shipping?
  13. LinkedKube

The Gigabyte board is good, but the p5b still has better reviews.
  14. MetalX

Alright. So the upgrade is looking like a Core 2 E4300, ASUS P5B, and 2GB (2x1024MB) of OCZ value ram.

With my CNPS 7000B, would it be possible for me to reach 3.2 GHz?
  15. LinkedKube

you should be able to get it to 2.9 or higher on stock, so I would think you can obtain that.
  16. MetalX

Just wanted to add/update to the thoughts here. I really want to make the right purchase so I want to add that the choice is now between the following:

Core 2 E4300, ASUS P5B, 4GB OCZ DDR2-800 (instead of 2GB OCZ DDR2-667 before) (there's been a price reduction :D)

OR:

Keep everything in my current system and add an 8800GTX.

Is the Core 2/P5B/4GB still a better option considering I will most likely overclock the Core 2 to the maximum possible extent that my cooling solutions provide?
  17. MetalX

/bump/ anyone???
  18. LinkedKube

oh man you throw a gtx into the picture, that's a different story, but arent you worried about the gtx being bottlenecked by your old cpu. might want to wait till after july22 when intel cuts cpu prices.
  19. Grafficks

I think you should go with the C2D+Mobo+RAM upgrade.
    I think this would be a better choice than getting an 8800GTX, because getting that top-of-the-line graphics card for your current CPU/Mobo/RAM configuration might pose a bottleneck. The last-gen DDR RAM and S939 Athlon might hold back an 8800GTX.

And about your new decision of 4GB OCZ RAM, is it still the OCZ Value series you mentioned before?
    I'd like to suggest that instead of getting 4GB of OCZ Value RAM, you should get 2GB of high-end performance RAM. High-end memory modules will benefit your overclocking intentions better than the OCZ Value series products.
  20. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,572   +9

Not to mention that you probably will have too much RAM with 4gb.... Will probably get flamed for suggesting there is such a thing as too much RAM....

Much better to get yourself 2gb of high performance RAM, save up money, and get another 2gb later on when you need it. Overclocks better too.
  21. JimShady23

JimShady23 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 651

Dude

I have a barley used P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi edition sitting here that I would be able to give you. I upgraded to a 680i board and have no use for it. PM me and we can work somthing out.....

Only thing is this, this P5B works great, never been oc'ed but it has problems working with more than 3 gb of memory in 1gb configurations. It may just have been the memory i put in there (ocz platinum edition PC6400) but I read that is a common problem with the P5B's I had it going with 2x1gb for a few months and it worked perfect but when I upgraded to XP x64 and slapped another 2 gb in there it didnt register the full 4gb...Dont get me wrong it dont do anything bad with 4gb installed it runs fine, it just does not register the full 4gb in the bios...
  22. MetalX

No, it's THIS. Not sure if it's value ram, but it is DDR2 800. But maybe I should get 2 GB of this instead?
    Got any details on these price cuts? I'm buying on July 15th (my birthday) at the moment, but if prices will lower a few days later, that's great. Only problem is that the computer store I get all this from doesn't update their prices for about 3 weeks... so I will have to wait till the 3rd quarter of the summer break, and it's a big priority for me to have my computer upgraded to get the most out of the summer "gaming season." ;)

Anyway, since this is getting so complicated, if you want to try find the parts you think I should buy, go to http://www.wintroniccomputers.com. Look at my profile or signature, and based on that, see if you can find good parts for upgrading my system. My MAXIMUM BUDGET is $675 and not a cent more. That has to include the 14% tax. So if you find a good upgrade, multiply the total by 0.14, add it onto the total and if it's still under $675 then post it. I'm not expecting anyone to actually take the time to do this, but for those people who like helping other people choose parts, this is a good time to use your skillz ;)

(Sorry for the explanation of how to add taxes, I'm sure most of you know how, but this is just in case anyone doesn't :D)
  23. LinkedKube

well I know the q6700 is gonna be a little over 500 usd and the quad6600 will be 230 usd, effective decreasing the prices of all the other cpus.
  24. MetalX

Hmm... well I just wanted to know mainly the price decreases of the E6420, E6320, E4400, and E4300. Thanks though supersmash ;)
  25. Grafficks

The OCZ Vista Upgrade Memory has looser timings than the Platinum Revision 2, but I think the mere quantity of 4GB will overpower this slight difference in timings.
    The 4GB kit you have chosen should still overclock well. If you're using Vista, extra RAM is always good.

The prices at that store link you gave us are great prices for the most part. However, I can't help but notice that some Asus motherboards are overpriced.
    The P5B costs $149 there, over $10 more than most stores:
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=010805&cid=MB.157
    I usually get my stuff from Canada Computers, and their prices are usually as low as it gets. They have a Hamilton location, maybe you could give them a visit, and get your mobo there?

But of course, it's not necessary. It's just saving a little bit of money, and either way your total (including sales tax) would still be below your maximum budget.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.