Which Video Card should I get (list provided)

Status
Not open for further replies.

philiprabb

Hi guys,
sorry to bug you with stupid questions, but I've never really given any thought of upgrading my video card, and now that I need to I have no clue where to start.

Ive got a Pentium 4CPU 3.00Ghz, 1.00 GB or RAM
and my video card is: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

now here is the list of cards that I can choose from: http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/category_list.php?cat=0800

Could anyone recommend which one should I get?

Thanks so much,
Plus any other recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

If you really have to order from factory direct which i personally don't like at all id say go with the radeon x1600pro, if I were you I'd try Tigerdirect.ca as it has a better selection I'm assuming your from Canada?

yep I live in Toronto, it just seems that Factory direct usually has the lowest prices and not necessarily the worse quality. Let me check out the website you suggested

the website seems pretty good, I just don't like ordering stuff of the internet, so I guess I'll stick the radeon x1600pro.
Do you know by any chance how much better will the performance be? Compared to the FX 5200?

thanks so much

oh man, sorry but i thought that the x1600 pro was an agp card, the one on the site is a pci-e card, by the way is the factory direct that you are planning to buy the card from located on kennedy road by any chance?

oh yeah that's true, just out of curiosity, what is the difference between a pci and pci-e. I know agp just has a separate slot (but it doesn't matter if i put it into agp or pci right?)

sorry, i've never done this haha, so complete 0 on the knowledge part

oh and no, the one on dufferin

pci-e is a newer much faster version of the pci connector. I am assuming that you don't have a pci-e connector on your motherboard because you have an AGP card. And no, you can't put an AGP card into a pci slot and vice versa I suggest that you do get an AGP card instead of a PCI card because it is a newer faster technology than pci. I wouldnt order from factory direct in your case because the agp cards that they do have wouldn't be much of an improvement to your system. Try getting an AGP X1650 from futureshop instead the usually have those for under $150 CAD, just make sure you have a power supply that can handle the card.

thanks so much, the really helps.

cheers!

just out of curiosity, anyone else have comments?suggestions?

anyone? pls?

any other possible suggestions?

What're your PSU specs? Also, how much is your budget? Based on that, I'll give you some good recommendations.

hey there.... based on your list the 3 best options (based on your AGP motherboard) are number 15 (radeon 9550), number 18 (geforce 5500) and number 19 (Geforce 6200).

Personally, given those choices i would go with number 19 (geforce 6200).

In the same breath, if i was gonna spend money on a graphics card, i would upgrade my motherboard to a pci express compatible one. This gives a whole new range of much better graphics cards. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Spyder_1386 :)

my PSU has a max output of only 266W, that's why I actually decided to get a new power supply (I'm hoping to get one today). Problem is I've got a sony mobo ASUS P4SD-VL and it has that little 3-pin(blue, black, white) cord on the mobo next to the 20 pin one. I didn't realize that until i bought a cheap ($15)PSU but 400W, and just turned out I couldn't plug it in.

Right now I'm gonna go look at this one:http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=012265&cid=PS.808
see if it has the little 3 pin cord, and if it does, then I'll get this card:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=014211&cid=999.821
which needs at least a 350W supply.

wish me luck!
though I'd appreciate any comments on that 3-pin monster, ive looked around the forum and i see im not the only one with such a prob

111 CAD for a 7300GT GDDR2? That's a freaking ripoff mate. I'd suggest this instead. It'll give you a considerable boost in performance and it doesn't need too much power as well.

I'm a little late to this thread but I don't think you've said what you are using your PC for. You said you needed to upgrade but for what purpose? Knowing that would greatly influence what kind of graphics card you should consider getting.

In other words, a card for playing the latest PC games would be very different than one for merely surfing the internet, playing DVDs and running typical office type software (Word, WordPerfect, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.). I'm guessing you want to play games but I'd like to be sure.

Scorpius911 said:
You'd even be better off with that X1650PRO on the same site. 8$ cheaper and would outperform the 7300..

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=012609&cid=999.821

I know this card is better but when i looked at the agp voltage its different than my pc's. I've got 1.5V meaning there are three shorter gold things sticking out of the video card:S

And to answer another question, I wanted to upgrade so I could play some of the more recent games. I'm kinda reluctant to shopping online, but it's just hard to find a good agp card thats around 100 and fits my pc agp slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back