Which wireless type of network are you running at home?

Which standard is applicable to your network ?

• 802.11A

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • 802.11B

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • 802.11G

Votes: 85 70.8%
  • 802.11N (draft)

Votes: 24 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Didou

Would it also be possible to mention if it's secure & how (WEP 64/WEP 128/WPA/WPA2/etc.) ?

Feel free to mention the brand & models of the equipment you're using.

Draktek Vigor 2600 VG. WEP 64 bit - but then I have nobody nearby and anybody in a car is going to stick out like a sore thumb around here!

128bit WPA. Some cheap Belkin that I bought as a temp replacement when my Linksys died. Turns out its working just fine for me so I haven't bought a better one.

Linksys WRT54GS w/WPA. I had used WPA2 for a little bit, but it didn't seem to be well supported by Windows XP.

I might as well add my contribution:

I'm using an Apple Airport Extreme (firmware 7.2.1) in draft-n mode & WPA2.

WEP 128 - Curious to know the pros/cons of the different security algorithms.

NETGEAR Model: WGR614 wireless router

I seem to have missed this one - I use a Draytek Vigor 2600 which is connected for wired and wireless. Works a treat. WEP 64 bit only.

Maybe I should make it a sticky for a little while (don't forget to vote on the pole while you're at it). :p

G is the standard for most and some have N. I still use G54 twin access points for coverage. I know network guys who swear by N, but I don't see the point. 300Mbps gain which is really 240Mbps and like those with 108-125mbps for G54.

I'm using a Linksys 802.11 G router. (WRT54GX4)
I'm using WEP encryption, would use WPA but that would cause my father to become confused and get angry with me... he doesn't like change.:haha:

Draft N with WPA (having problems with one of my older laptops when I use WPA2)

pyromaster114 said:
I'm using a Linksys 802.11 G router. (WRT54GX4)
I'm using WEP encryption, would use WPA but that would cause my father to become confused and get angry with me... he doesn't like change.:haha:

Just make the change! Its always easier to ask for forgiveness:grinthumb

I am still on a Wireless B Linksys router. Have not had a reason to change. (Now watch, I have probably jinxed my old router and will find problems when I get home...)

Oh, I forgot: I do not use WPA at this time. I tried it a few years ago and it seemed to cause me all kinds of connection problems.

Linksys WRT54GL running DD-WRT, with WPA and mac filtering.

Was hoping that it would suffice for use with a wireless gaming rig, but can't process the packets fast enough, so it laggs every now and again even after upgrade to light-weight DD-WRT. (Could also have something to do with the 20 other 802.11b/g networks in my building....)

Curious, what are you going to use this info for? War-driving in the us? ;)

Stupid Westell 327W internet gateway with 64bit wep. This stupid thing came with a password on it so I cant change it to 128bit. I wanted a regular DSL modem so I could plug it into my Belkin router. Stupid westell thing won't let me share my printer on the network. Ironically, I'm on my DS online a lot, it doesn't support WPA, which is what I had before. (All my technology is spiteful.)

Does it have a reset button hidden somewhere - once you know your settings this should set the password back to default. Password might be admin or Admin, perhaps?

Googled it. Turns out the default password was "password" :p. Changed it to 128-bit, now I am content. :) [Of course I changed the password so I could remember it. I taped it to the bottom of my other router.]

Crappy old Linksys wireless router. Possibly the oldest G-standard router in existence. Runs hot, and keeps dropping the internet connection. Yay! It came without a power cable, so i had to buy a new one. My rabbit ate through that power cable and I had to shell out for a new cable again. Yay!

Well, right now I'm using my neighbors connection, connecting via wireless, since it's working pretty reliably and I'm getting good bandwidth (5Mbps) over Time Warner Roadrunner.

I've got a WRT54G Series wireless router and was using that. I had it setup for Wireless-G using WPA2, but I didn't connected via wireless, because I don't see the point if the router is right there in front of me. Though my roommate used it on occasion with his laptop and another person used it with his iPod to browse the net and watch YouTube videos.

I may get cable again sometime. Right now, I'm getting laid off in a few weeks and as long as this is working perfectly fine I don't see the point in spending $46.95/month for it when my uncle is letting me use his free (he lives in the house next to us).

I've thought about getting a Wireless-N router, but haven't yet. The next time I need a router that is what I will buy. I may even go with something that either has QoS features or can be modded to add Quality of Service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back