Which X-Fi to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

I don't do any gaming but listen to a lot of music and like great quality sound. What would be my best bet?

The X-FI are gaming sound cards. People buy them because they take over the job of producing game music and sounds freeing their processor to produce video frame rates. They don't necessarily sound the best.

One of these should do. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&Subcategory=57&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

The C-Media CMI8788 chip is supposed to be very good sounding and starts out at around one hundred dollars.

But if you must have Creative then THIS might do.

If you have a good pair of speakers or headphones then you might like the C-Media chip sound cards. If you don't have a good pair of headphones or speakers and don't intend to look into getting a good pair then pretty much anything will do.

At one time Creative was the best sounding card, but they pretty much focus on accelerating game sounds now. The more expensive cards usually do sound pretty good, but other companies have stepped in to create truely good sounding audio cards.

What about these.

HT Omega CLARO Sound Cards
View Pic

Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5 [39]

HT OMEGA CLARO 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

* Audio Chipset: C-Media CMI8788
* Digital Audio: 24-bit
* Hardware Decode: Dolby Digital, DTS
* Line In: Yes
* Model #: CLARO
* Item #: N82E16829271002

HT Omega CLARO Plus+ Sound Cards
View Pic

Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5 [25]

HT OMEGA CLARO Plus+ 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

* Model #: CLARO Plus+
* Item #: N82E16829271003

ASUS 90-YAA021-1UAN00+ Sound Cards
View Pic

Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4 [11]

ASUS Xonar D2 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Ultra Fidelity Sound Card with Complete Dolby/DTS Sound Technologies - Retail

* Audio Chipset: ASUS AV200
* Model #: 90-YAA021-1UAN00+
* Item #: N82E16829132001

Auzentech XPlosion 7.1 Sound Cards
View Pic

Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4 [118]

AuzenTech XPlosion 7.1 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

* Audio Chipset: C-Media CMI8770
* CD/Aux In: No
* Features: World First Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect certified PCI board sound card! Converts any of your movies, games, music audio into a Dolby Digital or DTS Surround Sound! Stereo is boring, surround sound is fun! DTS Connect makes it easy to turn your computer into the ultimate PC sound entertainment
* Model #: XPlosion 7.1
* Item #: N82E16829156001

Auzentech AZT-XM71 Sound Cards
View Pic

Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4Rating + 4 [49]

AuzenTech AZT-XM71 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 Sound Card - Retail

* Model #: AZT-XM71
* Item #: N82E16829156002

* O

I think your best bet here would be to look at the reviews on the card's Newegg page. Then if you find something you like Google for a professional review to see if it will really meet your needs.

The Xi Fi series is NOT just a gaming card. Sure, they bring the games to life, but the software included with the card leans more towards music. This is also dependent on the version you have. I've been running an X Fi Platinum, which is geared towards music, but I also do a lot of gaming along with listening/burning/ripping music and watch DVD's on my computer. But you also have to remember, any sound card can sound like crap if it doesn't have the speakers to complement it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back