White box around notepad icons on desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysterioMask

Hi, recently got rid of a virus but this started happening before that, but didnt care about it but i think its just annoying now.. Anyway got a few notepad documents sitting on my desktop one day they just started to have a white box that surrounded them, and doesnt show the background through the white box. so just looks ugly, does anyoen know how to fix this.

No sorry thats drop shadows, no the issue i have is that there is a white square around any notepad i put on my desktop, its not on any other short cut or whatever on the desktop. Just my notepad files. the white box encompases the entire clickable area of my notepad. Does not go around the text underneith it, just the image.

No I can see my notepad icon, but there is a white box around it or behind it, whatever you want to call that, I can see the icon fine, but then around that is a white box which I cannot see my desktop background through. The white box does not touch the text of the file name but encompases the entire clickable area for the notepad icon.Notepad Pic.JPG

This is certain to be to do with transparency of icons. NamebrandHuman is going in the right direction, it must have something to do with Visual effects. Try resetting to default options e.g. 'let Windows choose...' Reboot. Does this alter anything?

Failing that, it might be something done in the registry by a graphic package you use. There is a certain colour that is used in .ico files which Windows recognises as 'transparent', and clearly this has changed for you, so the 'transparency' colour is rendered as white. Sorry I am now at the limit of my knowedge !!

Failing that, it might be something done in the registry by a graphic package you use. There is a certain colour that is used in .ico files which Windows recognises as 'transparent', and clearly this has changed for you, so the 'transparency' colour is rendered as white. Sorry I am now at the limit of my knowedge !!
Me too, but that (I think) is the right direction.
Try right clicking on the icon and select "open with", then select "choose program". A box should come up. Pick a program that can open text files, but has a different icon than notepad, and check the box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file". See what happens.

hellokitty is suggesting a method of determining whether the problem is in the Windows general environment, or local to Notepad. You could also try signing on as another user (all desktop icons are local to a user), and you can also easily answer the question - do any other applications exhibit the same thing when a file is saved to the desktop?

Hey thanks everyone for the comments, its fixed. What happened, was i went to that display propertys in the system, and when i checked it the first time everything was properly selected so i didnt do anything except exit out of it. But i went back there to see if there was any problem again, changed the setting, to best performance then switched back to custom with everything selected and clicked apply and the problem went away. So i guess it was just a glitch or something. Thanks everyone for helping me with the minor annoyance.

Glad I put you on track. As a general observation, when something is actually a setting in the registry gone wrong, then if you can reset it, it is often a cure because effectively the registry entry is re-written.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back