Who took the plunge then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpt_Subtext

Okay so according to a site I was just reading Vista has been released, who of you have taken the plunge then?

I havent yet, but i went to CompUSA and tested it out. Ran pretty nice on an older system. The specs arent that high as people believe that they need their computers "Vista ready".

I've been running it since November - Enterprise edition. I really like it, but I knew before hand that it required a machine with lots of RAM and a decent video card. I've had really good experiences with it so far.

Excellent LNCPapa, have you had any significant bugs at all? Any minor issues at all?

Yeah I ran the Vista test software on this machine, its 3 years old and said it could handle Home premium and was green across the board

I ran the public beta 1 and RC 1 I think.... Didn't have any real problems with it. VLC looked funny, and it did seem to lag considerably when dimming out the screen to ask if I for sure wanted to do something. I had it on a decent spec'd computer too.

Anyway, I've got an upgrade coupon for Vista I'm going to be sending in as soon as I dedicate a few minutes to actually doing it. I'm sure its not anywhere near as bad as some people on these forums would like you to believe.

I have a copy of the retail release in the mail now, a customer wanted it.

I'll probably post some long-winded thread on what I think of it in a few days.

I'll let you people test it for me. I'll be building a "test" machine in a month or so to install Vista on... The Vista Upgrade Advisor told me things I didn't like. Have you run the Advisor?

Well, I dont much trust the advisor a long with a recent game. I just got Raindbow 6 Vegas (After getting my new x1950 and new PSU), and the minimum requirement for the CPU is 3.0 ghz. Well im running a 2.66 P4, and the install said it would install but the game would not run on the machine. Well low and behold, it runs great! Another reason I dont trust any form of "Minimum Requirements". Only if you are way low below them I guess. lol.

gavinseabrook said:
Well, I dont much trust the advisor a long with a recent game. I just got Raindbow 6 Vegas (After getting my new x1950 and new PSU), and the minimum requirement for the CPU is 3.0 ghz. Well im running a 2.66 P4, and the install said it would install but the game would not run on the machine. Well low and behold, it runs great! Another reason I dont trust any form of "Minimum Requirements". Only if you are way low below them I guess. lol.

That's exactly why I want to build a "test" system for Vista. If I put it on this system and I can't see the drives mounted on my additional IDE controller or my trusty old Santa Cruise sound card or Halo doesn't work, I wouldn't be a happy camper. Especially because I just reformatted my C drive because of a malware attack

Actually I read somewhere that Halo did not work on windows vista YET. Im not sure if it is a big issue, but im sure in about a months time, more bugs will be fix. That n im sure halo is a priority to them, since it is their software lol.

Yeah probably! heheh Cant wait to get my hands on it and my new system now...... just waiting on those seemingly forever out of stock components! lol

Haven't ran the advisor, can't think of anything I use that wouldn't work. VLC is probably on it because it causes vista to switch to the classic rather than the aero interface while its running, but I don't consider that a serious enough issue. It will just remind you of running linux :) Plus VLC will get an update to make it work, other programs will do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back