Whoa, why are Mac users so sensitive?

non.basic

I have never heard of KDX before when a friend of mine told me to install it. I don't usually install free things ive never heard of before and when i told him that he went in a mood. I found this in my inbox this afternoon!

Subject: To quote Herbert Spencer

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is
proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in
everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to
investigation."

You think my server is insecure, yet you run windows, your email
account is a yahoo account, you use msn messenger, which I just got your IP
address from and ran a port scanner on you, you never noticed, nothing
stopped me, no firewall, no nothing. need I list more!?
My server is secure - the only thing at risk is ME from the authorities
for sharing software illegally. not you, nobody but me on the server
can see your ip and there have been no succesful reports of anybody
hacking a server running KDX. So F-YOU and your ignorant microshite
windows ways. The only thing Windows is good for is Games. Absolutly nothing
else, why do you think all flavours of U*IX are more popular when the
computers have to be used for proper work (other than office or games!).
rant over,
Ian

ps - open your mind to try different things, why do you insist on
running a 32bit GUI on top of an 8bit OS. Try UNIX (any flavour), learn it,
you can get any software you need for free legally, and it is a lot
more stable - no random pointless gay crashes. No Bill Gates. No Microsoft
logos.

whoa.

Maybe he's mad at his mom?

Most Mac users are frustrated. They don't like the fact that their OS and computers gets pounded on so often by the uneducated PCer... When people with PCs poke fun at Macs, it's usually because they can't play some games, or they make fun of the speed of the processor... The uneducated can be very dangerous and very annoying.
I can see where he's coming from, but he still didn't have to be a dill hole about it...
Next time he does that, tell him to go buy a fan... that'll insult him.
:D

MAC is superior in some ways yes, but Windows is superior in other ways. You can't win a discussion like this. In my case, I hate Mac's because they are downright ugly in every way and are setup all loopy, and have no real advantage over Windows as far as speed (they did in the past but they do NOT now) so what's the point of me using one? None. You or someone else on the other hand may like them.

Your friend though, well he just needs to quit sippin draino with his fruitpunch is all.

I just thought it was funny, thats all! I could have shot him down really easily but I thought it was best to just leave it.
8bit OS? wasn't DOS 16bit on the latest edition and isn't 2000 and XP based on NT? And Im sure there is no way he could have got my ip address from messenger!

It's pretty easy to get someones IP. Anyone can do that with no problem, unless the person's IP is spoofed. Then it gets a little bit harder for the regular user to find the real IP address.

As far as your friends knowledge, he needs to quit using Mac's and wake up. It's no big deal to use Mac's alongside regular PC's, but when all you use is Mac, your just dreaming and will never know anything about computers in the real world. This guy proves this. He obviously has no idea what he is talking about and it is because he is such a hardcore Mac user.

If Windows was so bad then why do so many corporations use it, so many small business, so many individual guru's? Why do so many people dual boot Windows with Linux, even though Linux is great for security, why is Bill Gates the richest man on the planet? Why does almost everything require Windows? Why are MOST operating system books teach on the Windows platform?
.....Why? because Windows isn't THAT bad, and Mac isn't that great. It has it's uses, but will definately never replace Windows. Linux on the other hand, one day may just replace Windows but that is far in the future. Everyone is moving towards using Linux now. Even Bill Gates is jealous and doing his best to build Windows as close to the Linux way of coding as he can without actually being Linux so that his OS can be more stabile and secure.

And, like I said, the fact is Mac will never replace Windows because Mac's will never be all that Windows is and can be, but Linux I guarantee one day just may well be the "globally used OS", and THIS is exactly why Mac users that ONLY use Mac's are so pissy, because they know this but are too hard headed to admit it so they have something constantly stuck up their bunghole.

I've always said that Mac is the AOL of computers. It is user friendly and is for the less knowledgeable (although many DO use Mac's that are very knowledgeable, but these persons dont use Mac's exclusively, because the fact is if ALL you use is Mac's you will never really know anything other than Mac, and just can not make it in the real world IT industry).

Yea it is pretty funny, but it's pretty annoying. Mac users are much like us Windows users. Most of us would never even touch a Mac because most of us hate Mac's. So it's the same, vice versa., but Mac only users fail to realize the importance of knowing Windows. Also if all your running is Mac and are worrying about security then WHAT are you securing yourself from??? because Mac's don't run much of anything, especially compared to Windows or even Linux.

I really have to wonder what this guy thinks it is that he is trying to keep out of others hands. What kind of amazing data does he have on this Mac machine that is so important that he needs to secure it so well (as he says the Mac does)..

Edit: BTW, I seriously doubt that Mac's are any more secure than Windows other than the fact that much less people are apt to hack a Mac because there aren't as many and due to their being less of them, not as many Mac's contain the sensative data as Windows systems do. (Mostly due to the fact that most corporations place their data on Windows systems). Obviously more people try and hack Windows system than Mac's which may make some think they are more secure due to the lesser number of Mac's that are hacked in a certain amount of time.

I never use a firewall. Haven't but once or twice in 11 years. The longest I've ran a firewall was maybe a few weeks, and I have never once had a break-in with regular Windows setup. I've also had a DSL connection online now for about 9 months, 24/7. Still no problems. Nor do I even have a virus scanner, and have never had a virus.

Edit: Actually I've FOUND viruses on my PC (files just sitting idle) but never been infected by one, that will do any real harm to your computer.

Originally posted by acidosmosis
BTW, I seriously doubt that Mac's are any more secure than Windows. If they are I bet it is because no one wants to hack a Mac. Whats the point? Whats the fun in it? What are you going to get off of a Mac users computer that is so great? And btw, Mac's use a different F.A.T. (file allocation table) than Windows so if say one person using Windows tried to hack into a Mac computer over the Internet then that is one hurdle that would have to get over.

Just a small correction:

Over TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, netbeui, etc, and for the most part regardless of protocol, file system iscompletely transparent. It does not matter and there is no such "hurdle" to overcome. This is why we have the internet as it is, because the software above it makes this transparent.

Back