Who'd have thought a computer could be so complicated?

By patrowles
Jul 2, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello, everybody - I've worked with computers since nineteen-eighty mumble mumble, from IBM mainframes to today's lightning-fast PCs. Ee, it were all COBOL 'round here in my day, as far as t'eye could see...

I decided after twenty years that it was high time I stopped gnashing my teeth and tearing out my hair when a computer didn't do what I wanted or expected, and started reacting like a rational human being who actually wanted to solve the problem. Still, better late than never, eh?!

I always get a warm, fuzzy glow when I visit forums of this kind and find that there are people who know stuff that I don't and have the patience and generosity to pass it on.

So, thanks in advance for all the help, and apologies for any gaffes or faux pas.
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +17

Hello patrowles and welcome to Techspot.

I hope you enjoy your stay with us.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  3. AMDIsTheBest010

AMDIsTheBest010 Newcomer, in training Posts: 546

Welcome to TechSpot Patrowles

1. Have Fun

2. Learn Something New

3. Get Free Expert Help With Your Troubles

Whenever your ready to start posting, please start your thread in the appropriate category

Welcome Aboard!
    ....AMD
  4. davem48

davem48 Newcomer, in training

He can spell COBOL! Mon ami.

I thought I was the last person alive who could still spell COBOL. Good to know there"s at least one other.
    Actually, I found the people much harder to deal with than the computers. Since our COBOL programs never went astray management assumed we weren't doing anything and canned all COBOL programmers.
  5. sghiznaneck

sghiznaneck TechSpot Maniac Posts: 544

Do you remember FORTRAN?
  6. davem48

davem48 Newcomer, in training

I took a 1/2 semester course in it about 1964. Haven't used it since. Did lots of other things, but then returned to programming in COBOL for about 17 years.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.