Why 16X DVD-R takes same time as 4X ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertq

Hi,

I have been burning my data on 4X DVD-RWs.

Now I bought 16X DVD-Rs thinking it would burn faster but it takes the same amount of time as 4X for the same file ? Can somebody explain why ?

I have a Philips 16X DVD writer.

Thanks
Robert

If the media is marked as 4X that may be the max speed for burning. What application are you using to burn the data? It should tell you what speed it's writing at and what speed the media supports.

if your burner is a 16X DVD burner then there could be a couple of reasons for slow burns. 1. poor media quality- if you bought memorex then you bought poor media. 2. your burner is operating in PIO mode and not DMA. this you can check in device manager under IDE ATA\ATAPI Controllers. check under the advanced tab on the channel the burner is on. if it shows PIO then uninstall the IDE channel and reboot windows will reinstall the channel and the drive when it restarts and it should then be in DMA.

Same here. Writing time on 24x and 52x is the same. I noticed that no matter 52x write the data faster, the lead-in and lead-out takes extra time to finish and the final times for 24x and 52x are the same. But I think this is normal. Besides I do not need to write faster than 24x but this is CD
It should have difference between 4x and 16x.
Check the program you use to write disks. When I use nero when I set the settings and set the writing speed to 8x and then I hit new to add the files I want and then hit burn and when the settings window appear it is again on 4x and I should set it two time to 8x to write on 8x speed otherwise it will write to 4x.
Make sure the problem is not of that kind.

Media is Sony so I guess good quality & it is 16X

I am using Sonic DVD writing software that came with my DELL PC.

I am using DLA mode to write and I have to use UDF format to write because my files are upto 250 Characters long.

Writer is also 16X = Philips

I am using MAX setting for writing. I also tried to set it at 16X but didn't make any difference.

Big outfits like sony dont make their own disk they just rebadge other makers as their own use a program like DVD Identifier to see who the maker of the disks really is. if it says CMC, that is memorex and that si probably your problem right there. also have you updated the firmware on your burner? newer firmawares improve the burners capabilitis and improve compaitability with different brands of media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back