why all the games on my PC freeze/crash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tru_Snoop

Hi guys

My PC Specs:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (no Sp1 or Sp2 installed)
Case: NETLINK 18IN 350W ATX 3688 CASE /W FRONT USB PORT P4 READY
Motherboard: SOLTEK KT400-A4 ATX SOCKET A DDR400 AGP4X 5PCI ATA133 USB2.0 W/SOUND
CPU: AMD ATHLON XP 2100+ 256K 266FSB SOCKET A RETAIL BOX
CPU Heatsink: VANTEC AEROFLOW SOCKETA cpu cooler TMD 5600RPM 35.5CFM
Memory: 512MB PC2700 DDR333 SAMSUNG RAM
Video Card: ABITR9550-128CDT RADEON 9550 128MB DDR AGP8X
Hard Drives: 2 X ( WD CAVIAR 80GB INT ATA/100 HD 3.5LP 9MS 8MB 7200RPM OEM)
Anti-virus: Kaspersky Antivirus Personal 5.0.121
Firewall: Zone Alarm Pro 5.5.062.011
cASE FANS = 4 FANS (2 INFLOW, 2 OUTFLOW)
Internet Connection: CABLE HIGH SPEED
DISPLAY DRIVERS FOR VIDEO CARD: I have the latest Catalyst driver v5.3 installed on my PC. Everything up-to-date.

I have NHL 2005 and Battlefield 1942 (with Desert Combat Mod) installed on my PC. Both games freeze/crash in the middle(after 10-15mins). Before playing the NHL 2005 today I checked the temp of my CPU by "SpeedFan", it was 50 degree celcius, but game still crashed. So I had to turn the computer off manually. When I started the PC again, I checked the Temperature of CPU, it was 56 degrees C. I was only able to playe for 7 mins. Samething happens with Battlefiedl 1942, which I play online. I even tried OMEGA Drivers, but games still freeze, eventhough I am able to play for at least 30 mins with Omega drivers installed.

Why do you guys think these games freeze on my computer? I even changed the CPU's heatsink, because my cpu temp used to be more than 60 degrees C (games used to freeze then too). What is wrong with my computer?

Help guys...........Thanks so much.

Hi Tru,

Do you see the blue screen when Windows crash? Reboot without blue screen is hardware error. Reboot with blue screen 60% is software and 40% is hardware. Attach 3 to 4 minidumps here if you find the minidump at the folder \windows\minidumps

Fortunately, I don't get a blue screen error. Just games freeze in the middle and I have to start the computer again. Thats all.

thanks

Ok I ran prime95's small FFT's test and it gave me this error when my computer crashed:
Test 1, 800000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M172031 using 8K FFT leghth
FATAL ERROR: Resulting sum was 55596114571248.95, expected: 1.452620073602517e+016
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
Torture Test ran 0 minutes - 1 errors, 0 warnings.
Execution halted.

I looked at the temp using everest program, it gone up to 60 degrees C during this test.

What is this error? How do I look for this error to fix?

thanks.

Is this the error form the text file FATAL ERROR: Resulting sum was 55596114571248.95, expected: 1.452620073602517e+016
Hardware failure detected, ? If not post the hole text file

So basically this is going on during 3d applications (gamming) What power supply do you have and have you updated your motherboard chipset drivers at all?

This error is given by prime95 right before my pc froze. Thats all showed on the screen......prime95's screen.

I have 350W power suply. I did update the drivers from the CD-rom when I installed the motherboard. But I don't know where to find new drivers to update. If you guys know where, please help me out.

thank you

It is a KT chipset wich is via.com do a serch in google for it there is a 4-1 update that might help you out..

Did you apply thermal paste between CPU and CPU-cooler? If not, you MUST put that in.
It sounds to me like overheating.
You could also try Cpuidle from www.cpuidle.de to bring the temperature down.
Give us the make/model/specs of your powersupply, that might be another problem

My powersupply came with the Case. Here it is the info about my powersupply:

SWITHING POWER SUPPLY
MODEL: LC-B350 ATX

Input: 115/230V ~, 8/4A
60/50 Hz

Output: 350W
+3.3V 28A Orange
+ 5V 35A Red
+ 12V 16A Yellow
+5VSB 2A Purple
- 5V 0.3A White
- 12V 0.8A Blue
PS-ON green
P.G. gray

My motherboard's chipset:
VT8235
0240CD TAIWAN
23A3082461

My Memory info:
2x Samsung 512 DDR ram

1st: ITEM 8023 129828 6
D256M 32*8
PC333
2kM405072.3C

2nd: ITEM 8023 119077 19
y2069

I have 4 case fans: 2 to inhale (front) and 2 to exhale (back). These fans are each worth about $10-12, boght all of them from London Drugs. My CPU's Idle temp at this time is 48 degrees Celcius becuase my room's window is open. I have allready updated my motherboard's chipset driver's 4-in-1 drivers. I didn't update BIOS (eventhough I have downloaded correct BIOS) because I am affraid that I might ruin something. The readme file came with downloaded BIOS says that I have to put AMIflash.exe and kt400A4.rom to Floppy and flash my BIOS in dos. It is very tricky. I never done that. I don't know if it is neccessary to flash or install new BIOS.

thank you guys very much.

One ATI drivers are very touchy you have to compleatly uninstall them add remove programs clen registery out all that stuff .. THere is a program called Nasty file remover wich you can find Here Run this program remove all remains of your Ati drivers I would use any version other than version 5 4.13 seem pretty stable install these.. IF you still have problems take the power supply to get it tested or you can buy you own power supply tester at a local computer shop the other likely thing here is teh power supply itself you are not getting enough power during 3D applications.

Let us know

Get yourself the file to make a W98SE bootfloppy from www.bootdisk.com
Doubleclick on that file and it will make that floppy. Delete everything on that floppy except command.com, msdos.sys and io.sys
Copy amiflash.exe and kt400A4.rom onto that floppy.
In your BIOS, set your PC to boot from floppy first, insert that floppy and boot up.
You will see A:> on a black screen. Type in amiflash and hit enter.
Then follow the onscreen instructions (or the ones from that readme file). Hopefully the program gives you the option to save the current BIOS first. There is enough room on that floppy to save it there. Then flash the new file. Make sure you do NOT interrupt the flashing procedure! Let it finish by itself, it will tell you when it is done.
Take that floppy out, reboot and that should be it. Go again into BIOS to follow any other instructions given, and to set the boot-sequence back to what it was before.

I have another power supply in my other computer (it is pentium II). This power supply is only 300W. Is it ok to try that power supply on my system? What are your comments about that? Also, I am still affraid to flash my BIOS because as you guys know I am not that expert in computers. The instructions given by "realblackstuff" are very helpful, however, I don't know if upgrading BIOS will help my problem or not. First, I want to see if my power supply is defective or not. So, if you guys recommend then I can try the other 300W power supply I have.

thanks

Does your video card have it own power connector or it just a heatsink? Probbly be esier to test out the power supply at a local shop really dont no to much about the other supply you have..Since it is smaller it probbly will not help you much.We are looking at aprox 235 watts this is at 100% efficenty nothing is 100% ..Power supplt would be the first thing to look at also another problem i see that is a tad hi in temps my barton 2500xp is oc and never goes above 45degrees C I have 4 fans and a PCI volcano fan .. DO you have thermo paste between cpu and heatsink?

Yes, I have thermal paste between cpu and heatsink. It is called "Silver greese". I got at from local computer shop for only $2. I read the instructions on how much to apply the thermal paste. So, I didn't apply too much.

Try that CPUIdle program.
Also go to www.lavalys.com and get the free Everest Home Edition.
Check temperatures every 5 minites or so, under Computer/Sensor.
Restart that program every time to get actual temperatures, I don't think it refreshes by itself.
If the temperature stays high and crashes continue, you may need a better CPU-cooler.
You can try the other PSU but unless it is a quality-PSU, I don't think it will make any difference, it could even get worse.
Get a new powersupply with about 480w from the likes of Enermax, Antec or Fortron.
Check that it has two +12v rails and the P4-cable, possibly also SATA and PCI-Express. That way you are also set for future expansion. The new PSUs with 12" or 14" fans make for really quiet running as well. Reckon about US$70-100 for a decent PSU.

i've been having a similar, problem, my pc will freeze in game, the pc will beep, there'l be a whirr from the DVD drive, and then it freezes and i have to manually reboot. After the freeze the system temp is about 37, and the CPU temp is around 65. In october the pc massivly screwed up, requiring an almost complete refit, we then got a new graphics card (RADEON 9800 PRo) and there was some more screw ups, the guy from the local shop found the power supply and memory was knackered. We got a new psu (350W for £20-£30) and got some more Ram, the problem has been there for about a month.

Specs
Gigabyte 7VM400M-Rz
AMD Athlon XP 2400
ATI Radeon 9800PRo
256mb PC2300
512mb PC2700
120GB HD
Bios-Award F1 Date- 16/08/2004

Finchy
It is unhealthy for any PC to mix different types of memory.
Take the 256MB stick out (should this not be PC2100?) then try again.
If you want more memory, always get it of the same type as existing RAM, or replace the whole lot with one type of RAM.

How do you guys think that my powersupply be the problem? I even removed one Ram stick yesterday to see if my games freeze and they still did. Could you guys explain with details about powersupply and its volts? I can't efford to buy a new powersupply. Is there a place where I can get a used powersupply? I only know that I have 350W powersupply, but don't know how the volt is divided, for example, for CPU, ram, motherboard. So, do you guys mean that my powersupply is not giving enough voltage to CPU?

Another thing:

I just used another Thermal Paste and it lowered my CPU's temp by 5 degrees. However, games still freeze. I also bought SWAT 4 game, and it also freezes. I can't play for 15 minutes straight. My CPU's temp at the moment (IDLE) is 45 degrees Celcius now. And it goes to 47-48 degrees when playing games. IT is not that hot.
Another question, If you guys say that my powersupply is to blame, then why only games freeze in the middle, why not at the bigginning.............

help please.

Each part of your computer takes power =Watts and the power supply depends on effiecenty that amount of true power it actually supplies example lets say you have a top line 450w power supply at 75% efficenty this will work out to 337.5Watts or 450Wx.75% where a 450@50%= 225w so if you add everythign up and you know u need 300watts lets say to run your computer you will not be able to run this on a 450 w 50% efficent power supply which are ususally the cheap ones this is where yours basically falls in at is a cheap one.Here some good power supply information I complied for you..

COMPONENT POWER REQUIRMENT LINES USED

OLDER CPU 20-40W +3.3V

ATHLON XP, 60-90W +12V
ATHLON 64
P4

MOTHERBOARD 20-30W +3.3V,+V AND 12V

RAM 20W per 256 +3.3v

PCI CARD 5-10W +5V

AGP VIDEO 20-50W +5VAND/OR+12V
(3.3VFROM MOBO)

CPU CASE FAN 2-4W +12V

5,4000RPM HDD 5-10W +5AND +12V

7,2000RPM HDD 5-15W +5AND +12V

10,000RPM HDD 5-20W +5 AND +12V

FLOPPY 5 W +5 AND +12V

CD/DVD DRVE 10-20W +5 AND +12V

COLD CATH LIGHTS 3W EACH +12 OR +5

LED 1W EACH +12 OR +5

I hope this helps you out some..

Stop buying games, get a decent power supply instead, as advised earlier.
Borrow a more powerful PSU off a friend if you can first.

Same prob here

Hello just want to say i have the same problem
Power supply here is a 450w
Motheboard : Asus P5P800
CPU : Intel P4 3.0G "530" LGA775 1m/L2/800FSB

1024 DDR Ram

2 HDD 7200 RPM
1 DVD 16x
1 DVD+-Rw 16x Dual channel
2 extra cooling fan

if its the power that make that crash well the 1 post sure need to have a way bigger since a 450 crash as well

Crash only in game or when running a prog that test CPu+Mb+Ram

With Asus probe it say that my 3.3V run low from 3.3 to 2.6 aprox

look like a power but again hard to say plz reply

the power supply is a Sumvision 350w
i hate having to get new parts for the computer, its the families so all requests for upgrades/parts go through my dad. He'll either go crazy or not-giving-a-slimy-turd-mood when he finds out the pcs screwed again. I bet he'll try and work out a compromise and just get another crappy psu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back