TechSpot

Why can't I partition my hard drive more?

By R0NBON
Jul 26, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I'm trying to partition my hard drive, when I click shrink, it takes me to the shrinking window and it says:

Total size before shrink: 704749 MB
    Size available to shrink: 7185 MB
    Enter the amount of space to shrink: 7185 MB
    Total size after shrink: 697564 MB

I don't understand how I have so much space, but I can only shrink it 7185. It is an NTFS.
    Here's some screenshots

Attached Files:

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,003   +1,503

Some files that are read only are preventing you from shrinking beyond a certain point while those files are open.

My suggestion would be to use partitioning software that is bootable. Boot to the disk and shrink your partition without windows running.

There are several freeware apps available to select from. The one I use is Partition Wizard Boot CD.

JC713, SNGX1275 and R0NBON like this.
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,556   +301

So you want to shrink that 688 gig one right? What is your end goal?

I did like CC's post, but now I'm kind of concerned on what your goal is and how good of advice it is to proceed with a bootable. You may end up bypassing some valid concern that is preventing the shrink...

While you are waiting for a response after your next post, initiate a manual defrag of C.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.