Why can't I share files/printers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karmashock

I have two windows xp home computers. One wireless IBM laptop and one wired desktop.

I have both in the SAME workgroup. But neither one will share files with the other.

I get messages like "you don't have the permissions" etc. Now, I suppose this is a permissions issue. But XP home doesn't let you alter permissions. This is for a friend... on my home system I have one windows professional system that lets me alter permissions and all I have to do to make it work is give it one share of any kind that says "everyone" in the permissions.

What can I do to get my friend's system working?

File and printer sharing turned on? Simple file sharing turned on? Ran the XP File and Printer Sharing Wizard?

Are either one of them firewalled? Or does the router that you are using have a firewall of its own?

The wizard wants me to take a disk around to each computer... something that is neither possible nor sensible. I don't need security settings on this... I want to do outright simple filesharing... why is this so complicated in windows xp home?

It's completely simple in windows 9x... you share a folder and assign a password specific to that share... personally the best way I think this should be done in a home environment.

In XP you assign permissions which make more sense in a corporate environment but at least function in a home environment... Ironically windows home seems to have the hardest time doing this... I've had this problem in the past... and always with windows home.

As to firewalls, the desktop doesn't have one and I'm pretty sure the laptop doesn't have one either. The only one it would have would be the windows firewall. Would the windows firewall cause errors that cited "permissions"?

The thing that's so annoying about xp home systems is that they don't let you edit permissions yet they still have them. At the NTFS level and at the network level... they just refuse to expose them...

Is there anyway to patch xp home so that it exposes these settings? I've so annoyed with this that I'm considering just upgrading to xp professional on these machines...

it does sound like permission, but just to be sure:

1. you need simple file sharing enabled
  2. your firewalls to allow file sharing (ie ports 139,445)
  3. the same workgroup on all systems
  4. one or more folder shared (r/o or modifiable is your choice)
  5. the guest account should have a password even though it may be disabled for login.

Some insist that accessing the share can be done via \\shared-system-name\shared-folder-name
but I think that requires a DNS.
I've always found that mapping remote drive works reliabily.

Don't get annal on Win98 or other systems -- just move on to this task and
"when in Rome, do as the Romans do" :)

Well, it's windows XP home so it only does simple file sharing... at least... so it would have you believe... even though we both know that permissions are an inherent part of the xp OS and all home really does is lock your computer in "simple" mode and hide the option (I know it does more else where, but that's what it does to your sharing).

Anyway, I'll check the firewall again... but I'm pretty sure the only firewall on there is windows firewall... and I'm dumbfounded if that blocks simple file sharing.

Both systems are on the same workgroup.

As to folder shares... what does (R/O) mean?

As to guest accounts... how do you add a password to a guest account? It won't even let me do that on XP Pro... just has an enable disable option.
jobeard said:
it does sound like permission, but just to be sure:

1. you need simple file sharing enabled
  2. your firewalls to allow file sharing (ie ports 139,445)
  3. the same workgroup on all systems
  4. one or more folder shared (r/o or modifiable is your choice)
  5. the guest account should have a password even though it may be disabled for login.

Some insist that accessing the share can be done via \\shared-system-name\shared-folder-name
but I think that requires a DNS.
I've always found that mapping remote drive works reliabily.

Don't get annal on Win98 or other systems -- just move on to this task and
"when in Rome, do as the Romans do" :)

Karmashock said:
Anyway, I'll check the firewall again... but I'm pretty sure the only firewall on there is windows firewall... and I'm dumbfounded if that blocks simple file sharing.
yes it does (SP2 change) and you need an EXCEPTION to allow it. You're seeing
a permission issue, so I doubt that is the issue. the list was provided for completeness :)
As to folder shares... what does (R/O) mean?
READ ONLY
As to guest accounts... how do you add a password to a guest account? It won't even let me do that on XP Pro... just has an enable disable option.
using and admin login
  1. cp->User accounts
  2. change user
  3. guest
  4. enable
  5. set password
  6. disable
  7. exit

when an associate wants to map your drive, the password dialog will be shown.
This ensures that some remote user just can't get to your fileshares because
you were careless :)

1. cp->User accounts
2. change user
3. guest
4. enable
5. set password
6. disable
7. exit

There is no set password option... does it have to be the admin account or can it be "AN" admin account... that is to say the primary admin account that you name upon installing windows.

I'm sitting here at my computer and I can't name the guest account at all... I have provided a picture of the screen I'm looking at... what exactly am I doing wrong here... I mean... the stupid thing if offering to let me change an account picture... but not the flipping password.

I think you're almost there -- click the icon Guest Accnt
then change the PWD, and when it comes back, disable the account login

nope... can't click on it... it's just a picture.

I'm cool with editing this manually... is there any other means of editing these settings? I don't mind if it's complicated...

Karmashock said:
The wizard wants me to take a disk around to each computer... something that is neither possible nor sensible. I don't need security settings on this... I want to do outright simple filesharing... why is this so complicated in windows xp home?
Your frusteration is getting the better of you. Reread what the wizard says, it gives you the option of making a floppy so you can get things set right on another computer without XP, like 2k or 98. The last option on that wizard is something like 'I don't need the floppy, just close the wizard'. So do that, on both comps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back