Why cant my friends join my minecraft server?

I made a minecraft server by downloading the forge 1.10.2 server download. Im on a mac and I port forwarded it by going to airport utility, clicking edit, then network, changed router mode from bridge mode to DHCP and NAT, the DHCP range is 10.0.1.2 to 10.0.1.200, under DHCP Reservations I added the server
then I added it under port settings. I can connect to it from any computer in the local area network but my friend from far away cant. I tried a few different things but im not very experianced at port forwarding so I dont know. Can anyone help me?

Reverify the port-forward from the router->server and that server MUST have a consistent LAN address,
Then the server MUST be running.

The server is running, but it times out when my friend tries to join. I dont know if I did anything wrong with the port forwarding, but I'd like some more info about making servers on a mac

It's all controlled from the router, so Mac vs PC doesn't matter.
  1. get the MAC address of the system NIC
  2. login to the router
  3. find the LAN setup
  4. make an address reservation for the MAC address to any address on the router - - say x.x.x.101
  5. save the config
  6. now look for the Port Forward settings
  7. forward the game port(s) to x.x.x.101
  8. save the config
  9. log out of the router
disconnect the system from the router; wait a minute or two and then reconnect
you should be able to PING x.x.x.101 to prove the address reservation is correct.

Back