TechSpot

Why did my dual boot kill a computer

By Harold the sage
Sep 3, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I recently lent a hard drive to a friend, on which we proptly installed linux (so his computer was dual booted), later i had to take back the hard drive and (to make a long story short) we ended up having to completely re-install windows. can anyone tell me why this happened and how to prevent it in the future, by the way the linux was SUSE 9.2.
  2. blue_dragon

blue_dragon Newcomer, in training Posts: 278

need more info

on what drive did you install which OS?
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

First, what exactly happened? Your system started smoking? Big green flashing rings started to float around the screen? You could only boot into Tetris? The computer made funny "bleep" "bleep" noises? Really, how can we explain something you don't describe?

Operating systems can not boot if the hard drive location changes. For example, if the drive was slave on your friend's system and master in your system, then the bootloader got confused and probably either crashed or gave you some weird command prompt.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.