Why Do I Only Have 16 Colours Plz Help Me!

By chunkyuk32
Aug 14, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi my computer has been stuck in 16 colours for bout a month now and when i go into display the 256 colour mode is not available.Can someone tell me if theres a driver or how i get to find out what my driver is nd in 640x400 size only a very distresses lady.
  2. chunkyuk32

chunkyuk32 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

ty

hi thnks but i dont know what make my graphics card is to get the necessry driver and i havent chnged or had my comp repaired so can any one else help its relly bugging me!
  3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +17

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Download, install and run the free Everest programme.

Hopefully, it`ll enable you to find out what graphics card you have and therefore which drivers to install.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  4. BlameCanada

BlameCanada Newcomer, in training Posts: 356

Either -

1.Find out the make and model of your computer (if you don`t already know),

then google that with "video drivers" or similar.

or

2.Download Everest or Belarc advisor they are system info programs,which might identify your hardware.
  5. chunkyuk32

hi im using a standard graphics adapter thats all it says and am running on windows special edition does that help you cus am baffled lol!

it says vga graphics adpter and its like all my pictures are fuzzy ,if you want to chat on msn my addy is marie_moore32@hotmil.co.uk im on now thanks gettin fed up lol oh and a forgot to mension am no good at computers!
  6. howard_hopkinso

Is your computer an oem build such as Dell/HP/Compaq etc?

If it is, you should be able to get your video drivers from your computer manufacturers website.

If it`s a custom build, you need to find out if your graphics card is onboard or separate.

If it`s onboard, you can tell by looking at the rear of your computer. Your monitor will plug onto the same panel as the usb ports etc.

Please let us know what you find.

Regards Howard :)
  7. chunkyuk32

hi

right here goes,system model is centerprise nocd,my operting system is windows 98 se(build 4.10.2222),processor is 800 meggahertz intel celeron 32 kilobyte primary memory cache,128 secondary memory cache,and my monitor plugs into underneath where my usbs go get bk to me on your next idea regards mariex
  8. howard_hopkinso

Reboot your system and watch the screen. Does it tell you what graphics card you have.

For example on my computer it says Nvidia Geforce4 mx4000 128mB.

Edit: Run Everest and click the large display icon in the righthand pane. Then, click the Windows Video icon and let us know what it says.
  9. chunkyuk32

hi

i tried the reboot but my comp loads up to quick for me to see helppppppp dont y have chat site we can go to
  10. howard_hopkinso

See the edit in my post above.

I don`t do computer help via messenger or chat sites. Better to do it here, then it might benefit others.

11. chunkyuk32

hi

ok thats fine but wot else cud i do i bin to system and it says genuine intel my computer is ??????
  12. howard_hopkinso

Well, what did Everest say?

You can also try the SIW programme and see if that gives you any info on your videocard.

13. BlameCanada

I found two pages that might lead to something useful -

Centerprise support you have to enter the serial number of the PC
    or invoice number if you have it,then search.

Contact details tell them your woe.

14. chunkyuk32

hi

i tried the swi download,it says in video name is standard pci graphics adapter (vga)chip type is mono,dac is internal memory is 64 kb and i avent got the serial number unfortunately ?????
  15. BlameCanada

The serial number should be on a plate somewhere on the back of the PC,possibly.
  16. chunkyuk32

hi

yes ive found the serial number but now it wants an account number and i dont have 1
  17. BlameCanada

Just send a message to them with the serial number,saying you want the video
    driver for 98se.

EDIT : If your video was working up until a month ago,the driver must be on the computer somewhere.

Try the 'Add hardware wizard' and see if finds it.

Are you sure your computer isn`t in 'Safe mode' ? Have you added any hardware that might have caused that ?
  18. chunkyuk32

hi

thankyou for your help ive tried hardware wizzard and it says windows has found the best driver for this device it realli strange its beat me for tonight i have to go now good night and hopefully u can be of more assistance tomorrow thankyou for your time and ive just emailed them and explined nite and thankyou once again xx
  19. howard_hopkinso

20. chunkyuk32

hi howard

i tried the driver wizzrd but it says cant download driver cant find graphics importer wot next???????
  21. howard_hopkinso

I`m out of ideas I`m afraid.

Maybe get someone who knows about computers to take a look at it for you.

Regards Howard :(
  22. chunkyuk32

hi thanks any wy friend

hi thankyou for your help it ws appreciated howard can anyone else help me on this subject please
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.