Why does Shut Down Take for ever all of a sudden??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordzen

Using Win Xp Pro....

recently I noticed that the computer takes a very long time to shut down. It used to take it just 30 seconds but now I can be waiting for up to 2-3 minutes b4 it shuts down.... (btw: Start-ups are still very quick)

Itnitially, it logs off and starts saving settings very smoothly but then it stays for ever on the screen where it reads 'windows is shutting down'....

I hve installed new software recently but I don't want to have to uninstall it just coz of this.

am wondering if anyone can offer advice and to explain what it is that might be causing this? what is the computer doing in all those 2-3 minutes!?!
is there like a shut-down list of processes? (similar to the start-up list you get in msconfig?)

thanks,
J.

What it probably is, is a problem with some of those programs not being shut down properly. Windows has to ask to shut them down, and possibly wait for them to respond, could take 10-15 seconds each. But I am not aware of any such shut down list, except for loading the task manager and shutting down some programs manually before you try to shut down all the way.

i had a similar problem awhile back but it never bothered me because i simply left the room at night and it would shutdown eventually by itself. i reformatted on march 23 and since then the problem has been gone.

more than likely the programs you have installed have .dll's that windows doesnt particularly like and they are hanging at shutdown. AnyDVD which is actually a .dll is notorious for casuing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back