TechSpot

Why don't MPC-HC play movies?

By learninmypc
Oct 31, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Booster Posts: 902   +39

You mean you've downloaded the FLV file and tried using the 2 players? I've tried both, no issues. What error msg did you get w/ MPC-HC?

I'm using:
    MPC-HC ver 1.6.8.7417
    VLC ver 2.1.0

I get black bars on top on bottom, but that's expected since my display is 16:10, whereas the movie is 16:9. No borders when I played the file on my laptop, which has a 16:9 display.

2. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 5,312   +238

Ok, I downloaded the video to my computer & then I launch MPC-HC . Click File>Open File>Browse to that file & click on it & then click ok & then in the bottom left corner it says Opening for a few seconds & then STOPPED. I've even tried clicking play but still no joy.
    I realize I can play it full screen in the browser,but..............................................:)

3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,123   +1,523

This could be a codec issue since VLC has its own codecs. Have you installed a codec pack?

I use K-Lite Codec Pack for all my codec needs.

4. Rabbit01

I've got mine as is, no extra codec pack. The DirectShow Video is set to Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter). Try changing this and see what happens. You'll need to close MPC-HC after changing the setting then reopen it for the change to take effect.

Clipboard01.jpg

5. learninmypc

No, I've not installed any codec pack.

6. learninmypc

Ok, mine was exactly as yours is. Thank you both.

7. learninmypc

Got a link for Vista Home Premium 32 bit ? Just curious.

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,123   +1,523

Download K-Lite Codec Pack

9. learninmypc

Thanks, will give it a shot.

10. learninmypc

Well, my bad or not, it didn't work. No biggie, I'll just watch the movies in browser/VLC, thank you. :)

11. Rabbit01

Hard to say what the problem is. I don't think MPC-HC has the option to generate a log file during playback for troubleshooting purpose. Sometimes updating/rolling back video drivers work, sometimes using different version of the player (older or beta).

You said you can play the file in the browser and VLC works. If videos from this site are the only ones you can't playback using MPC-HC, and everything else works fine, then leave it.

learninmypc likes this.
  12. learninmypc

Yes,I'm going to leave it alone. No borders using the browser. Thank you for your help. :)

13. Rabbit01

Border...check the "Aspect Ratio" setting under Video. If "Default" doesn't work, try 16:9 or whatever your display is.

14. learninmypc

How do I get there?

15. Rabbit01

Look for "Video" in the menu bar or with the movie loaded, right click and then select "Video" then "Aspect Ratio". For some reason, I can't upload a picture, but it should be easy to find.

16. learninmypc

17. learninmypc

18. Rabbit01

Sorry I didn't specify. I meant VLC. That's the one that plays video w/ border, right?

19. learninmypc

VLC plays with borders, correct. Will try that.

20. learninmypc

Ok, I tried it but its grayed out. I'm giving up & using the browsers, thank you Rabbit01

21. Rabbit01

Hmm...it's grayed out if video isn't loaded. At least that's how it is on my computer.

22. learninmypc

Ok, I did that & there are still borders. My Vista screen is 14 inch. W7 screen is 26 inch

23. Rabbit01

My 24" monitor is 1920x1200 or 16:10 aspect ratio. You can check the screen resolution and do the math.

24. learninmypc

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.