Why have cooling when you could have freezing.. literally!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drenholm

Has anyone ever considered, or even tried using a modified freezer as a PC case.. or do they exist already?

Just an interesting thought a friend and I came up with. Would it be possible or are there certain implications that would cause problems.. such as possible water vapor (though it'd be too cold for that, right?) or the fact that it's completely air sealed.

Just think of those low low temperatures!!!

The water would ruin the computer. The parts would run so hot that even if the case was at -10C, the parts might get up to 5-10C and melt the ice. They DO have air conditioned cases though.

Ah, I understand.. since freezers are designed to freeze food.. something that doesn't produce it's own heat!

Air conditioned sounds fun any examples around?

A safer idea is using a water cooling system, and putting the Reservoir in the freezer, and using mixture of anti-freeze and water to cool it. Even then their will still be a condensation problem.

But what if one was to modify the freezer to give it some ventilation, of course this might cause the motor to burn out (I think) since it'll be working extra hard to keep it's temp down....

But what if one was to modify the motor!!!

I really don't have much of an idea on how freezers work, so I'm just presuming possibilities, here :)

twite said:
A safer idea is using a water cooling system, and putting the Reservoir in the freezer, and using mixture of anti-freeze and water to cool it. Even then their will still be a condensation problem.

Just put some insulation around all of the pipes and it should work.

VapoChill is another option for ice cold computing.

I would personaly never trust any kind of watercooling that was not pretty much 100% guaranteed to not leak in my system. I'm just paranoid that way. That's fine though as nothing in my computer is loud except the GPU fan which sounds like it's going to go into orbit if I unscrewed the screw holding the card in the slot.

In reality you can never be 100% sure of anything.

If you don't want leaks, use compression fittings.

I would personaly never trust any kind of watercooling that was not pretty much 100% guaranteed to not leak in my system.

I completely understand. I was to afraid to put my asetec waterchill in my new system because i was afraid of it leaking. I went out and bought a zalman hsf instead.

If you don't want leaks, use compression fittings.

I've tried that, but it doesn't do anything for the pump. All the leaks i have had have been from the pump.

Hmm, if you really, really wanted to keep a CPU cold, use a Peltier

You have to watercool a peltier for it to be efficient.

MetalX said:
I would personaly never trust any kind of watercooling that was not pretty much 100% guaranteed to not leak in my system.
That's why distilled water is used, and good watercooling setups have safety methods for turning the computer off if the water flow goes too low.

MetalX said:
I would personally never trust any kind of watercooling that was not pretty much 100% guaranteed to not leak in my system.
no water cooling kit can guarantee that it won't leak.

you can however take steps to help ensure a leak free system (or at least prevent leaks from loose hose connections. if you buy a water cooling kit and it has cheap plastic clamps (or perhaps no clamps at all) then you should replace them with a screw/band clamp like this:
Hose_clamp.jpg

even a loose fitting hose can usually be clamped tight enough to seal when you use a screw/band clamp.

note: if it uses compression fittings, then the clamping takes place inside the fitting, and thus a clamp is not necessary.

cheers :wave:

They once used liquid Nitrogen on a Pentium 4 CPU and overclocked it from stock ~2.XGHz to 7.0GHz and it was still ~-15F after the overclock :D

No, it was stock 3200MHz I believe. And it was like -129C. Pentium 4 540 3.2GHz @ 7.125 GHz... LOL imagine putting that in your signature.

The clock speed was so high that even the Core 2 Extreme X6800 is slower than it in superpi, even overclocked.

MetalX said:
No, it was stock 3200MHz I believe. And it was like -129C. Pentium 4 540 3.2GHz @ 7.125 GHz... LOL imagine putting that in your signature.

The clock speed was so high that even the Core 2 Extreme X6800 is slower than it in superpi, even overclocked.
thats just amazing....only if my MoBo ddnt have that darn watch dog, it shuts my system down when i get it to around 3.2Ghz and ive read that my processor is capable of 4.0

I've only hit 3.1GHz on a Celeron 331, but I only had stock cooling anyway :( .

cfitzarl said:
I've only hit 3.1GHz on a Celeron 331, but I only had stock cooling anyway :( .
yea im running about 2.8Ghz right now(running at 22C at the moment) its seems the most stable there with stock cooling...but my stupid OC protection wont let me go past 3.2

I've never seen that before :suspiciou...there must be a way to turn it off. Apparantly Biostar didn't know that you could safely push a Celeron that high...or they just want you to spend more money on a better CPU :mad: .

cfitzarl said:
I've never seen that before :suspiciou...there must be a way to turn it off. Apparantly Biostar didn't know that you could safely push a Celeron that high...or they just want you to spend more money on a better CPU :mad: .
lol yea well i am planning on upgrading my CPU to a 3.4 Pentium D when i get the extra cash anyways, but still id like to at least run at 3.0 stable until then... i wrote Biostar about how to disable the OC protection but they never responded

ambivolent said:
yea im running about 2.8Ghz right now(running at 22C at the moment)
Um, you must either be looking at the wrong temp or the sensor is reading wrong because 22C is 71.6F aka room temp. Somehow I doubt that any processor would run that cool on stock air cooling. :hotouch:

nickslick74 said:
Um, you must either be looking at the wrong temp or the sensor is reading wrong because 22C is 71.6F aka room temp. Somehow I doubt that any processor would run that cool on stock air cooling. :hotouch:
it was running at that after about an hour of being on, its at 26C right now, it was running in the mid 30's with my old e-machines case, i put everything in an old kingwin case and the temp dropped my old case had no circulation fans what so ever new case has 5-80mm

nickslick74 said:

Celerons run very cool. Mine ran at a constant 85F-90F, and about 98F under a 500-600MHz overclock :eek: !

HERES the link to the 8GHz cpu. What i want to know is why a P4 has reached an incredible speed of 8GHz and yet not a single core 2 duo (which is supposedly meant to be the best cpu for over-clocking) can only reach a mere 4.8-9 GHz. I'm not putting core 2 duo down, its just that its superior over-clocking ability should allow it to go a lot more than 8GHz if a P4 can achieve 8GHz.

Perhaps they weren't using liquid nitrogen when over-clocking the core 2 duo. Or maybe they didn't care whether they blew the P4 up considering how cheap they are now you can just go out and buy another one, whereas if you blow up a core 2 duo it will cost you a lot more to buy a new one.

Its a dead set shame that AMD is no good at over-locking, well i managed to over-clock my AMD X2 5000+ from 2.6GHz to 3GHz on stock cooling and seems to be running very stable. At those speeds I can match and/or beat an E6400, and E6600 (in some things), but only when they are at stock speed. It's going to be very interesting to see how AMD's Barcelona will perform in over-clocking.

I was thinking of getting one of those Tuniq Towers 120, but for what i read they don't support AM2. I would go Zalmon, but i dont think they are very good, I've seen benchmarks where stock cooling is better than Zalmon.

Anyways, whats your opinion, i live in Australia so we measure temperature in degrees celcius and at the moment my cpu is at 35 degrees at 3GHz stock cooling (while listening to music, on windows media player), when playing games or when under load it doesnt usually go higher than 45-7 degrees, it only ever goes over 50 degrees When playing games/under load and when the room temperature is 35+degrees I'm hoping thats good, but it would be nice to here your opinions

35°C under stock cooling seems good... i was running around there at 2.8Ghz then i got a new case with better air circulation and it runs between22-27°C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back