Why is M.E. so unpopular ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve B

Hi, my origional machine came with M.E. and I still use it. Everyone seems to scoff at it but I haven't had any REAL dramas.

Eventually I'll go XP, but I'll keep running this UNLESS theres something I've not heard about ???

"Woe is M.E.":grinthumb

There are a few reasons for this. The top reason is probably because its cool and trendy to do so(because they hear others doing it)

Though the real reason that actual users of ME hate it so much is because it was poorly put together. It was basically a crammed together, jumbled up mess of 9x and 2k with a few features from what would later be known as XP added.

The only reason MS released the mutant beast in the first place was because 2k had just released 2k, some people thought 2k was the next 9x OS. To try and reduce this confusion MS released the garbled mess known as ME.

Generally speaking, if you bought a machine that came preloaded with ME and made no changes to the hardware, it was usually fine.

AH yes, I mustn't be cool or trendy. :(

All I know is "SYSYEM RESTORE" has saved my bacon a few times, esp. when I first started farting about with computers.

now I know a bit more about them, I can REALLY create some dramas... :eek:

My friend had Windows ME...his OEM version of the software ended up being a 6 month trial version... :D . He had to give M$ 100$ more so he can get Windows XP! Not to mention that ME didn't have the drivers for his hardware...which came OEM with the Windows disto and the...Dell computer :eek: . From my experience, ME is garbage (I'm being nice to the mods and restraining myself)

That's quite a yarn. Especially since AFAIK, there is no such animal as a trial version of Windows ME, and it would not be a smart business practice for a company like Dell to sell prebuilt systems with no drivers present.

dell did not ship a trial version of the windows ME OEM CD with their computers. how do i know that? i know because my parents bought a dell that came with windows ME. it was a full version OEM CD. ME ran fine on that dell since it came with the computer.

the reason that ME was hated so much was from the people who were trying to upgrade from 98 or earlier. a lot of people had loads of trouble getting ME to install. on top of that, ME was a wannabe win2k with a 9x kernel.

You guys remember the huge legal suit (Monopoly) Microsoft is/was embroiled in ,particularly Internet Explorer and how it was being forced on Suppliers and consumers .Microsoft tried to fully integrate the internet experience and your personal O/S experience into a seamless operation ,including mass media and games.' Me" was the first real evolution to that end.I think people " hated it" more because it kind of represents that whole time frame.and it did not live up to the Hype .
I had a Dell insperion that came with a Dell edition of me(the cd actually has additional software that is proprietary.Will not load on any machine unless it is a Dell),but there was no 6 month trial.However the norton anti virus part of that same package was a limited license.
I found the software buggy ,but not bad.Win 2K is still the most stable in my experience.

Myself and my friends at the time had so many driver problems with ME. It wouldn't take most video drivers for certain cards alone. I quickly upgraded :)

My last girlfriend had ME on her Dell. Getting rid of her and that computer was like getting cured of brain cancer.

Sorry guys, but I'm only going off what I was told. Then again, this guy is the same person who switched the IDE cables on a computer which only fit one way...;) He did, however, have trouble with drivers for OEM hardware, because I checked out his computer it was having quite a problem... this is the clueless do-it-yourself type I'm talking about, so, maybe ...emmm.. nah, just forget it. He was probably lying (srry, wasn't thinking)

I remember I tried ME for a few months when it was released, I believe it gave me no problems for about a week, then it started to show a huge number of bugs and compatibility problems, I quickly went back to 98se and then 2000.

Every computer I have ever installed ME on would continously crash. Explorer, Windows Media Player, etc would crash at random. WMP would always crash within a few minutes of loading though. This was after a clean install every time.

I keep a CD collection full of software, operating systems, drivers, updates, etc that I might need. This includes Win98, 2000, XP, 2000 Server, 2003 Server, Mandrake, Red Hat, etc.. even Windows 95. Windows ME is not in my collection. It's garbage.

amen acid!!

i would basically mirror what acid (errie really that my OS list is identical - win95) has already said but throw in my opinion that ME is a "Giant corporate backed computer virus trying to look like an operating system"

there's really no way around it, it was awful.

Well, I know I'm opening myself up to flames but I may as well be one of the few that have to differ....at least from this vantage point. While I'm currently running XP and have been for awhile, I had run ME on a number of machines in the past and had "little" issue with it. I'd rate it alongside '98SE for stability and had no real driver issues with it. Granted, it wasn't as user-friendly as current O/S seems to be but that's evolution.....things "should" get better as time goes on.

Just my $.02. ;)

I don't know a whole lot...but I had Win ME on an old eMachine....and that thing crashed about 3 times a day on average.

peace..

wonder what M$ does with source code for outdated OS's
when the aliens come will upload it as a virus

I recall hearing that Bill Gates held a meeting to show off ME to the major share holders. He started up the system it had been installed on and the very first thing it did was load directly into the blue screen of death.

Anyone care to confirm or deny this?

I saw some footage of that a few years back...I don't remember for sure that it was ME, but I definitely saw him fire up the BS of D in front of a big crowd.

Probably on the web somewhere in some enthusiast forum...actually, there's probably whole sites...

Peace...

don't mean to double post...but here you go:

http://www.wernersplace.com/videos/bluescreen.mov

I just went to AltaVista VIDEO search and put in "gates blue screen"

http://www.altavista.com/video/resu...t&mvf=msmedia&mvf=realmedia&mvf=other&mvd=all

What the??...!

First of all there is no trial version of M.E. He just did not unlock it and MS locked his copy after a defalt time.

IF there was a copy DELL would never ship it without another O/S as well and I have YET to see a DELL shiped with no drivers, every DELL I have ever worked on has always shipped with a normaly blue or brown CD ROM that is very clearly marked as a driver disk.

First reason M.E. is bad it was tossed together with very little testing.

Second reason I bleeds RAM like a stuck pig

Third reason it looses drivers, I am talking fipp they were there now they are not.

Fourth reason Megasloth thought they would pull a fast one on us and try and get this o/s out as the cure to the end of the world that was to pappen when clocks rolled over to 2K. people get mad about that kind of stuff.

Fith The lis goes on for weeks...
AND
Last reason Microsoft is a greedy money grabbing bunch of liars and crooks and M.E. proved it all.

Pizzada

Because it is the the "Men of the Table of Woyt" that realy run M.E. and most of the of the world. Think about this do you hear about them or anything they do?? No because the blame it all on Aliens, Men in black, The Masons, the N.O.C. the C.O.C. Canada, the Mexicans and Russia. It is them I tell you. TRUST NO ONE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back