Why is Oracle VM Virtual Box installed on my Windows 10 PC?

I need help solving a mystery. On October 1, 2016 Oracle VM Virtual Box, version 4.3.12 was installed on my Windows 10 PC. I just noticed it today, December 8, 2016. It takes up 80.5 Mb of space. I have plenty of storage. So, that's not the problem. The problem is that I don't believe I downloaded and installed it, and I have no idea what it's doing on my PC. What function(s) is it performing? How can I find out? I want to uninstall it, but not if that will ruin my computer's operations. Only one other person has access to my PC, ( a family member ), and that is only as a "guest" account. I want to know whether or not they may have installed this, and if so, why? I don't want to ask them, ( obviously ). That's why I'm asking for your help here. Thank you very much..... aviation1972

It's for running virtual machines, like if you wanted to run multiple OS's simultaneously on top of your host operating system. Think of it like emulation but for operating systems instead of games. If you're not using it and don't know where it came from, you don't need it, and it won't affect the normal operation of your PC to remove it. A guest account shouldn't be able to install it. It's not a malicious program, but it is suspicious it came out of nowhere.

Back