TechSpot

why my cpu fan stopped for few second and spinning again??

By alvin_lee
Aug 12, 2006
  1. recently i have bought a new graphic card Galaxy 7300 128 RAM DDR3 nad another 512 DDR2 533 mhz RAM,after using for few days i found that my cpu fan is stopping for 5 seconds and spinning again....i thought is PSU problem so i change my 400w PSU to 500w PSU..but the problem still exist!!iis that ok for the cpu fan stop for few seconds and spinning again????
    my system:
    CPU Info
    CPU 1/1
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
    Manufacturer Intel
    Family Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
    Architecture 32-bit
    Internal Clock 2.7 GHz
    Internal Clock Maximum 2.7 GHz
    External Clock 133.0 MHz
    Socket Designation Socket 775
    Type Central
    HyperThreadingTechnology Available - Disabled
    Capabilities MMX, CMov, RDTSC, SSE, SSE2, PAE
    Version Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
    Caches
    Level 1 32 KB
    Level 2 1 MB
    motherboard : gigabyte 81915G
    graphic card : galaxy 7300 128ram DDR3
    RAM : 512 +512 DDR2
    DVDburner
    thanks
    from alvin

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

It is a heat-sensitive/system-controlled fan and stops spinning when the CPU is cool enough?

3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,290   +25

I think that may be the case. Normally, this is common with AMD processors that use their Cool n' Quiet technology. Dunno about Intel though.

4. alvin_lee

alvin_lee TS Rookie Topic Starter

got smart

i ask my friend 2day, he said my intel cpu got smart ,if less program will consume less power but dont know whether will stop for few second and spinning again??anyone use intel cpu???thanks

5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Once the fan stops, the CPU gets hotter and the fan needs to start up again?

The thing is, you can't run an electric motor at an infinitely slow speed. So the fan has to start and stop instead of just making very slow turns.

6. pctec

pctec TS Rookie Posts: 36

I have also seen power supply fans do the same thing... Its a nice feature actually. Keeps the fan noise down a bit.

7. alvin_lee

alvin_lee TS Rookie Topic Starter

when the temperature going up, the cpu fan did spin again until next time when the temperature going down...so is it ok ?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.