Why oh why did I use DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.A.T.O

So i ordered some DSL from verizion for a business. WOW! and right from the beginning i knew this was gonna be a bad idea. Problems with shiping, and a "Line test error". A few weeks later i finally got my install kit. NICE!
So while attempting to setup the a new network connection through the internet connection wizard (thanks again microsoft) i cant select the correct option for my connection type. The PPPoE option is grayed out and i cant seem to get it to come around. I found some info about a similar problem on the microsoft support forum (thanks microsoft) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320558

The only thing is i didnt upgrade from win98. I formatted the laptop a while ago but it was winXP before and after that format.

Any ideas would be great, i use this laptop for the company i work for and i'd really love it if i didnt have to re-intall windows hence losing important data.

Best regards

i know what you mean. broadband cable all the way, says i.

look at thier manual and see if there's anything you missed (usually the modem has to be configured by specialized software)

I check the manual and even spoke with tech support at the verizon business tech help line. (they are the ones that originally tipped me off to the registry issue) I cant even imagine what is wrong, i mean i dont know who to blame, myself, verizion, or microsoft.

Before we got a router for the office we had to fire up a PPPoE program that the teleco supplied us. It did the log in to the PPPoE and you just told windows it was connecting through a lan.

I'd just get a router if I were you. The vast majority of them do the PPPoE logons for you and you never have to worry about it again.

Sir
N.A.T.O
are you using a router?
if so forget the software for the dsl modem you dont need it.what ever type of router you have check on there website for config for pppoe
I was with verizon long time, great people went out of the way to help.
if you must use direct modem connection get a better one than the free one verizon gives you,most of the problems are from xp firwall or some other 3rd party firewall sftwre.
unplug everything power up from modem to pc.
some hardware needs device first before software install some should have software before device install.
I myself decided to not use the software and used router as firmware buffer,never had a issue 3yrs

Thanks for the advice. I ended up buying a router and configured the modem as a brige (it was a layer 3 router before i think). anyway once i did that and logged in with my pppoe info the router picked up the config and it worked fine after that. Im still confused about the internet connection wizard though. I cant understand why it wont let me create a new connection that way since i didnt upgrade from 98

Regards,
Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back