TechSpot

Why Oh Why Not booting

By Pasha
Mar 31, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have just recieved an HP Visualize workstation which has twin pentium 550's running and enough ram to choke a horse i am trying to use it as a server, oh it is also running Linux.; Unfortunatly whenever i boot up it starts loading linux goes through a bunch of text of what it is loading then just goes to a blank screen! Why oh why is it doing this? It just sits there flashing every once and a while.
  2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

You may have your X server improperly configured.

At the boot: prompt, type this:

linux 3

then hit enter. You should get to a command prompt in the end.

You fail to mention which flavour and version of linux you are running, but you should not be able to run this command:

Xconfigurator

which will allow you to set up the X windows display.

Try these suggestions and then post back.
  3. Pasha

Pasha TS Rookie Topic Starter

unfortunatly i do not even get a prompt. it goes from a loading script to just a blank black screen
  4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

This sounds like a wrong screen resolution or refresh rate.

If the system is not halted, you can kill X by pressing ctrl+alt+backspace. Then start Xconfigurator and set up X correctly.
  5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Phantasm didn't mean the Linux shell prompt, but the boot prompt in LILO or GRUB (whichever you happen to use)
  6. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Yes Nodsu, that is true. I mean from the Lilo prompt, not from the shell prompt.

You've got a misconfigured X server.... at least, that seems to be so from the way you have described it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.