Why wont my Hard Drive Boot up? PLEASE HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a maxtor hard drive that came out of a dell with a pentium 2 in it. The hard drive previously had windows 98 on it but it crashed and wouldnt start up. I took the hard drive and put it in my brothers computer and it came up as a second disk E: on my computer, which is normal. I loaded windows XP onto my Dell Hard Drive, Then stuck the hard drive back into my dell and it wont boot up, it says "Please Remove Disk Or Other Media"

Someone please help me with this, its been extremley frustrating.

If I am understanding you right, you can not do what you are trying to do. You can not load XP onto a hard drive when installed in computer A, then move the hard drive to computer B as is and expect it to work unfortunately. They have completely different hardware configs and therefore drivers sets.

This is especially true for a Dell, as they have done all kinds of tweaks and shortcuts to the hardware they make. You need to have the Dell specific CD to load windows.

DonNagual is correct, and how did u exactly "loaded" Win XP in ur brother's comp? By loaded do u mean installed it in his comp? Or just copied Windows XP from ur bro's comp to ur hard drive? If u installed Windows in ur bro's comp and then removed the hard drive, ur bro's comp won't be able to be used anymore. And because u installed Win XP in that hard drive in ur bro's comp, when u plug the hard drive into ur comp again, it can't be used too. So u'll end up with 2 useless computer.

And btw, with a P2 CPU, i think u'll better stick with Win98, or maybe Win2000. Win XP is just too heavy to run in a P2 computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back