Why won't my other modem work?

Tommygunn

I have an ADB DA2200 modem as supplied by Fastweb (Italy) and it works fine apart from the wifi transmission, which is somewhat weak.
So, because of this I want to swap it for my TP-Link TD-W8951ND(IT) which has a better antenna system, however, when I plug it in most of the lights come on except the light that indicates there is an actual ADSL connection.
Plugs are in, my DA2200 works fine but why not my TP-Link modem?

Any ideas?

Tom.

You need to contact the ISP and have them PROVISION this device on your account. Be sure to tell them you have changed devices - - they should understand what to do.

Technically, the ISP connection sees the internal MAC address of every first level device to which they are connected. To stop unpaid leaching of service, they 'authorize' only devices which they are certain belong to their customers.

Yes, but we need access to the MODEM, not just any router which is easily done.
I think you can still log into a modem just like a router and manually change the mac address, can't you. At least I think I've changed IP addresses that way for problems where a router and modem have the same default IP address which will not work.

I think you can still log into a modem just like a router and manually change the mac address, can't you. At least I think I've changed IP addresses that way for problems where a router and modem have the same default IP address which will not work.
Technically, that's likely, BUT the ISP doesn't give out the admin passwords :(
Secondly, the WAN side address must be on their gateway subnet.
Third, when there's a conflict (very rare), we change OUR router address, not their's
Fourth, the ISP will frequently put the modem-router into bridge mode and delegate everything into our private route,

Back