TechSpot

Wi-Fi stopped

By josephy59
Aug 10, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Not only has the wifi stopped working I don't even see the list of available networks anymore. I must plug in the Ethernet cable to access the internet. I think I may have a virus. I just purschased this laptop a few months ago. It is an Acer Aspire

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,515   +336

First, ensure the driver is healthy. Use the command prompt to run devmgmt.msc,
    [+] expand the Network Adapters and the NIC and WiFi devices should be there without and red/yellow flags

You might look for driver updates for the WiFi

What make/model is your router? Have you undated it YET?

3. TheHawk

TheHawk TS Enthusiast Posts: 194   +7

Hey josephy59. Do you see the wireless connection icon in the system tray?. Does this laptop have a switch somewhere on the case that can switch the wireless adapter on and off that might have been accidentally turned off?. Some laptops have such a switch in addition to using the Fn key + another labeled key to turn on-off the adapter.

learninmypc likes this.
  4. josephy59

josephy59 TS Rookie Topic Starter

None of Fn keys are for the adapter. There are no switches on the case of the laptop either. Unless I plug in the Ethernet cable the icon in the system tray shows no internet connection.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.