Wi-fi working on ethernet cable but not wireless

So I got a new laptop and I updated it from windows 8.1 to windows 10 and because it wasn't connecting on wireless I used an Ethernet cable. After the set up was done my laptop could connect to other networks wirelessly but for my network it refused, it only accepted the ethernet. I've tried disabling the ethernet, using device manager, registry editor, IPconfig and nothing has worked. Troubleshooting also doesn't work either. It's solution is to either switch the router on and off or enable the ethernet which would mean I have to use the cable. Does anyone have any solutions? I feel like I've tried everything.

"It's solution is to either switch the router on and off or enable the ethernet." So, if you reboot the router you can then use wireless? It's worth visiting the router via its IP address and looking through Wireless Settings in case anything catches your attention.

"It's solution is to either switch the router on and off or enable the ethernet." So, if you reboot the router you can then use wireless? It's worth visiting the router via its IP address and looking through Wireless Settings in case anything catches your attention.

Thanks but I tried it and it didn't work.

We are not communicating at all.
1. Does wi fi work if you reboot your router? You implied that it does.
2. Did you check the router settings or not?

We are not communicating at all.
1. Does wi fi work if you reboot your router? You implied that it does.
2. Did you check the router settings or not?

Oh sorry I didn't mean to. No rebooting the router doesn't work.
How do I check the settings?

Your router documentation will give you the information you need. For my router typing 192.168.1.1 into the browser address bar takes me to the router. You then enter User Name and Password to reach the Settings. If you've never changed them the words admin and password should do the trick.
Once you're, in browse around and look at the settings for wireless but if you change anything make a note of what you've done so you can change it back.
Is your own network listed with other networks when you try to use wireless? You need SSD enabled in the wireless router settings or your computer won't be able to see your network. SSD is a bit like a wireless beacon.

Last edited:
WiFi drivers for Win/10 are real problems - - you're not alone.
1) find the make and model of the wifi chip you have
2) then go to the vendor's website, find support and look for Downloads
3) download the appropriate driver, install and then reboot.

My money's on the router rather than the laptop with this one, jobeard, because Faith98 can connect wirelessly to other networks but not to his own. Checking the drivers is a good idea though.

Back