Wierd Crash in Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svoboda

This is so frustrating it's been going on for about a week and I can't figure it out.

Here's my computer:
Athlon XP 2500+ barton, ASUS a7nx8 deluxe, 1gb ddr 400 ram, geforce 4 ti 4200, with win xp home.

Whenever I play a newer game (so far it's happened with Prince of Persia:Sands of Time, and Horizons) after a random amount of time anywhere from 1 second to 2 hours, the game will crash to a strange looking blue and white checkered screen. I have to do a manual restart after this. I searched for this on google but only found one obscure post that didn't help. When I check the WinXP error log, there are no errors related to this.

I tried tweaking every single graphics settings in these games with no luck. I think both of these games are DX9. When i play Counter-Strike tne crash never happens. I had all the updated graphics drivers and everthing, and all the Win XP critical updates. I thought it might be memory errors as i just recently got a new 512 mb stick, but I've tried both my sticks individually and I've tried some of my friend's sticks.

Finally I blitzed my entire hard drive thinking that would solve everything. But alas I reinstall winXP and just those 2 games, with the updated graphics drivers and the critical updates, and bam, the error happens in like 5 seconds, with nothing in the error log.
Ugh, any one have any ideas?

Definately sounds like video card overheating problems. Take the side of your computer case off and let open air circulate the case instead of your case fans.

No I haven't overclocked, and I'll try the better cooling/case off thing to see if it improves, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back