WiFi adapter does not work on my laptop

Hi everyone

I have HP dv7 2015tx running windows 7 (64bit) and I have serious problem with wifi connectivity. in last few months the wifi connection started to malfunction and randomly detect and connect to hotspots. and then it stopped working completely after a while. I tried:

-reinstalling, upgrading .... the wireless driver
-using wifi dongle
-replacing the wifi card with a new one
and I found these can not help me in this issue. the same thing happened to my blutooth connectivity last year and after I reinstalled the windows it was all fixed. but this time im not planning to reinstall the windows again.
So in my point of view this problem might be fixed if I fix the way windows is detecting any wifi access !! is there any file missing in windows related to this ?!!

Please help me in this matter

Do you have a wifi router and that's causing you these problems
OR
are you having issues with accessing hotspots?

What's the make and model of the Router. Are you using something that the ISP gave you to use?

The reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. Follow these steps to use the reset command to reset TCP/IP manually:
  1. To open a command prompt, click Start and then type CMD in the Search programs and files.
  2. Right-click CMD.exe icon in Programs and choose Run as administrator.
  3. When the User Account Control box pop up, click Yes.
  4. At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:
    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
    Note If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
  5. Reboot the computer.
When you run the reset command, it rewrites two registry keys that are used by TCP/IP. This has the same result as removing and reinstalling the protocol. The reset command rewrites the following two registry keys:
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP\Parameters\

What's the make and model of the Router. Are you using something that the ISP gave you to use?

It is "netcomm nb604n" im not sure whether it is given by ISP or not. But as I mentioned before it has nothing to do with router things since it can not connect to any routher via wireless.

The reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. Follow these steps to use the reset command to reset TCP/IP manually:
  1. To open a command prompt, click Start and then type CMD in the Search programs and files.
  2. Right-click CMD.exe icon in Programs and choose Run as administrator.
  3. When the User Account Control box pop up, click Yes.
  4. At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:
    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
    Note If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
  5. Reboot the computer.
When you run the reset command, it rewrites two registry keys that are used by TCP/IP. This has the same result as removing and reinstalling the protocol. The reset command rewrites the following two registry keys:

SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP\Parameters\

Thanks for reply. I tried this but didnt work for me :(

Additional information :
I can connect to internet through mobile USB tethering AND via LAN cable (any router)

To narrow down a few things, below I have asked you some questions and shown you what you can do to fix things on your PC. Depending on your issue. The way you have describe it sounds like your modem is resetting or the router is resetting or your PC (can check the event logs)

What I would do is record the event you have and then try using one of the options below.

PC Network Adapter Checks/Fix/Resets

Download and run this:
MS FixIt
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9664547

or

Under Windows
Under dos prompt
type: ipconfig /flushdns

or

ipconfig /flushdns
nbtstat -R
netsh int reset all
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset

reboot your PC

or

Reset the following to services

DNS Client

sc stop Dnscache
sc start Dnscache

DHCP Client

sc stop Dhcp
sc start Dhcp

How to automate the process above

The above can be copy and pasted into Notepad
All these commands can be run in a script: save them as myTCP.cmd or batchfile (need to add Echo Off on the first like)

batch file: mytcp.bat

Echo off
ipconfig /flushdns
nbtstat -R
netsh int reset all
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset
sc stop Dhcp
sc start Dhcp
sc stop Dnscache
sc start Dnscache
Exit

or

Script file: mytcp.cmd

ipconfig /flushdns
nbtstat -R
netsh int reset all
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset
sc stop Dhcp
sc start Dhcp
sc stop Dnscache
sc start Dnscache

Note: Most of these scripts, batch files and manual entries might require you to: Run As Admin. So the dos prompt link under programs / accessories / dos prompt you would right click on dos prompt and run as admin

Then you can type in the commands or if you use bat or cmd version then you can do the same right click on them run as admin to start them so they can make flush or reset commands run.

A very basic question: When you only have the wifi enabled,
  • can you see near by stations at all and then fail attempting to connect
  • OR
  • do you see no stations all all?

Are you connecting to your own WiFi router are are you using someone else WiFi network where you. Since you said in the first post to search for available WiFi connections?

Are you connecting to your own WiFi router are are you using someone else WiFi network where you. Since you said in the first post to search for available WiFi connections?

my own , my neighbour , my local shop.... any wifi connection WPA, WEP non secured ....any sort of wifi station is not discoverable in my laptop

To narrow down a few things, below I have asked you some questions and shown you what you can do to fix things on your PC. Depending on your issue. The way you have describe it sounds like your modem is resetting or the router is resetting or your PC (can check the event logs)

What I would do is record the event you have and then try using one of the options below.

PC Network Adapter Checks/Fix/Resets

Download and run this:
MS FixIt
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9664547

or

Under Windows
Under dos prompt
type: ipconfig /flushdns

or

ipconfig /flushdns
nbtstat -R
netsh int reset all
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset

reboot your PC

or

Reset the following to services

DNS Client

sc stop Dnscache
sc start Dnscache

DHCP Client

sc stop Dhcp
sc start Dhcp

How to automate the process above

The above can be copy and pasted into Notepad
All these commands can be run in a script: save them as myTCP.cmd or batchfile (need to add Echo Off on the first like)

batch file: mytcp.bat

Echo off
ipconfig /flushdns
nbtstat -R
netsh int reset all
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset
sc stop Dhcp
sc start Dhcp
sc stop Dnscache
sc start Dnscache
Exit

or

Script file: mytcp.cmd

ipconfig /flushdns
nbtstat -R
netsh int reset all
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset
sc stop Dhcp
sc start Dhcp
sc stop Dnscache
sc start Dnscache

Note: Most of these scripts, batch files and manual entries might require you to: Run As Admin. So the dos prompt link under programs / accessories / dos prompt you would right click on dos prompt and run as admin

Then you can type in the commands or if you use bat or cmd version then you can do the same right click on them run as admin to start them so they can make flush or reset commands run.

didnt work either :(

You said you have BT issues also, could be the PCB has issues in this system. You said you had changed out the WiFi miniPCI card in this unit with a new one. Did you use the same part number from HP. When using other brands they don't work so well.

Many laptops have the ability to toggle WiFi on-off from the keyboard - - my dell uses the combination
FN+F2. Sometimes there's a slide switch and an LED light (eg my older Toshbia).

No those commands won't work I didn't see your answer must have been hidden. But you have internal issue on that system. What does the BIOS say for the WiFi is enabled.

You said you have BT issues also, could be the PCB has issues in this system. You said you had changed out the WiFi miniPCI card in this unit with a new one. Did you use the same part number from HP. When using other brands they don't work so well.

I said I had the same issue with BT last year, but its now working well. Yes I changed with the same product number , im sure about it.

Many laptops have the ability to toggle WiFi on-off from the keyboard - - my dell uses the combination
FN+F2. Sometimes there's a slide switch and an LED light (eg my older Toshbia).

dont worry about that I tried that thousands of times

tipstir I recently updated my BIOS , but how can I check what it says about the wifi?

tipstir ye I tried all solutions here , didnt work at all man :(

Check the I/O Devices, each BIOS is different for laptops. Just go through the setting until you seen info about the WiFi Device. I would like to know if your BIOS is seeing the WiFi integrated hardware. If it's not then you have issue with the hardware. Nothing we do or say here will help you. If the system BIOS (heart and soul of your laptop) doesn't detect that hardware for the WiFi.

Fyi: not all laptops control the WiFi via the BIOS and the statement
I would like to know if your BIOS is seeing the WiFi integrated hardware. If it's not then you have issue with the hardware.
is an overstatement.

Fyi: not all laptops control the WiFi via the BIOS and the statement
is an overstatement.

True depends on the brand, but most have those settings. If those WiFi hardware the working or installed incorrectly it won't show up in the BIOS. . Below is from HP using TP-LINK mini-PCI 802.11n @ 300mbps WiFi NiC. The goal was to increase 802.11g to 802.11n. In the HP BIOS you can see the WiFi NIC. In the first POST the OP has HP. If I read it right he did change out the internal NIC or in terms of replacement. So where did you get this idea it was overstatement. We can only do so much for our members here.

354191029.jpg

Statement reads AS IF all laptops control the WiFi via BIOS and if not seen, then there IS a hardware problem and thus was an over generalization.

Neither current Dell and prior Toshiba use the BIOS for the WiFi adaptor enable/disable.

For clarity,
  • the Toshiba uses the Realtek onboard chip for the NIC & WiFi,
  • the Dell uses the Realtek for the NIC but a Dell/Atheros chip for the WiFi.

The picture provided clearly shows the HP using the TPlink device.

I fuss over this ONLY for those that find these threads later and can easily jump to the wrong conclusions from overly generalized statements; I did not intend to argue or demean tipstir

There are DELL you can access the BIOS and see WiFi settings. Toshiba also. Unless we're dealing with lower end models. Unless they have remove such features from the BIOS (hide or block features). I can see your point here but this member has stated HP Laptop not a DELL or Toshiba.

I've worked on IBM, Clones (TI, DEC, CTX, HP, Compaq, Toshiba, DELL, Gateway, ACER) and I am sure you have too. Today things are not like they use to be but some still.

I know you don't like to argue Joebeard, but it's good if you and I say something we don't agree on we'll never learn. We both have different experiences from where we work in IT Industry.

Well just have to wait on this OP to let us know if his BIOS shows WiFi Enabled or Disabled in I/O section?

Check the I/O Devices, each BIOS is different for laptops. Just go through the setting until you seen info about the WiFi Device. I would like to know if your BIOS is seeing the WiFi integrated hardware. If it's not then you have issue with the hardware. Nothing we do or say here will help you. If the system BIOS (heart and soul of your laptop) doesn't detect that hardware for the WiFi.

Istill can not finf it plz explain how to find it in plain lang

Boot up the laptop and go into the BIOS it should show you at post screen what buttons to push.
Either F2 or F10 But it will say on the screen if it doesn't then. Take the model number to HP tech support site and look up your model for the correct button to press.

I/O = Input/Output devices
Each BIOS has it worded differently

Now HP might have crippled your BIOS where you don't even see much information to enable and disable. But if you see Boot order or Boot to Quiet mode change that or disable Boot to Quiet. When the system boots up again you'll see what's active or what not working on the system.

Note: Boot to Quiet only might show HP logo and nothing else. Boot to Show and disable the Quiet will show the information.

Back