TechSpot

WiFi and ethernet

By patricia016
May 28, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Hi! Sorry I'm not much of a techie person. I'm having a problem here with the internet. My laptop connects to the WIFI properly but when the PC gets connected, with the ethernet cable, to the internet the wifi connection becomes bad but the signal strength shown is just as strong. thanks! :D using a windows 7 os btw.
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,368   +302

Use only one or the other, but not both concurrently.
  3. learninmypc

learninmypc TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 5,189   +230

Are you talking about 2 separate computers or one. One a laptop & the other a desktop?
  4. patricia016

patricia016 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Yea two different ones. using only one internet source....

my siblings use desktop the same time as me soo it's hard not to use them both. :(
  5. learninmypc

You might try this http://www.speedtest.net/ Also, how far from the router is the one using wifi? Any walls/floors ?
  6. patricia016

I am using it within 2 meters, same floor with no walls.

With the speedtest thing, tried it for 5 times with errors like latency error, request timed out, upload test error. But when successful, I got average 27 ping...
  7. learninmypc

Ok, unfortunately my knowledge stops here. I know somebody in here has more knowledge & will be happy to help you. I wish you the best. :)
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  8. patricia016

Oh thanks for the time anyway :D
    learninmypc likes this.
  9. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,490   +292

If you are within 2 meters why don't you just go wired? This doesn't solve your problem, but I think it is still a reasonable thing to ask. What hardware is involved? Also what protocol, B, G, N, ac?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.