TechSpot

Wifi boosting

By dioneian
Jul 25, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I have a bt hub my wifi works great in the bungalow but not in the garden I have looked at several wifi boosters but don't know which one to go for HELP PLEASE
  2. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Booster Posts: 897   +39

What wi-fi router are you using? On some, you can change the transmission power setting.

Another option, if you don't mind tinkering, is get a wi-fi router that's compatible w/ custom firmware like dd-wrt. Flash the router w/ the custom firmware and configure it as a repeater bridge. I did this at my parents' house years ago. Bought a refurbished Linksys WRT54G2, after flashing and reconfiguring the router, I was able to extend the range.

Tomato is another customer firmware. Haven't used it so can't comment on the pros and cons.
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,412   +316

As I understand, going to max(power) has always lead to premature failure of the router.
    (more power {watts or rf} generate more heat -> sooner failure).

An RF repeater is a nice solution like the netgear DLW-G810 (albeit is out of production, but you can find others)
  4. dioneian

dioneian TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have a bt home hub don't think I can alter power setting ,not clever enough to tinker ,I just want something that dosnt need to much setting up as I am not brilliant with computers.
  5. dioneian

dioneian TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks will I will try and find something similar.
  6. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Booster Posts: 897   +39

Good to know. Thanks.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.