WiFi in the desert... yup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cazca

I'm deployed at a locatioin that has WiFi, but you have to sit out in the blistering heat(120+) to have enough signal to get on the internet/skype home. Now we walk right outside of our living area, literally on the other side of the wall and you get a connection, 2-4 bars out of 5. Anything seems to stop the signal though. Even the glass window. I bought a wireless N usb adapter and a USB extension cord to try and hang that out of the window. It works, but i can only get 0-1 bars.

My question is, is there a way short of making something huge that hangs out the window, to increase the signal by maybe one bar to get a stable connection?

Software would be the easiet, but I don't know where to get it from. Thanks!

I don't think software will help. Your signal strength is limited by the antenna's ability to pick up the signal. You might try making a "reflector" to concentrate the signal into the wireless adapter. I've seen some people put usb wifi adapters into parabolic "wok" pans or strainers, which they claim increases the signal strength when aimed at the source. Here's a link to what I mean. Maybe this is not a feasible option in your location, but worth suggesting I guess.

I also live where it is hot and sandy -- on the edge of the Sonoran desert -- but not as HOT as where you are. There are WiFi repeaters that can take the signal where it is strongest and retransmit it. But from your description, I think you may be able to solve your problem with just a little effort to make an antenna -- from junk.

oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

Good luck

I couldn't post a link so you will have to make what I could post into a usable address

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back