WIFI MINI PCI Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

bushwhacker

Gentlemen, i owns Dell Latitude D600 which it runs off on Intel PRO/Wireless 2100A MiniPCI 3A...

I was wondering if i WAS able to replace it with stronger WiFi MiniPCI card ?

I dont like the idea using the PCMICA cards.

can i just order one and flip out and put the new one in?

Old Spec:
802.11B?G

New SPEC:
802.11A/B/G
or
802.11A/B/G/N

Was there a possible if i can get it working properly ?

I was trying to upgrade it to vista, but 2100A is not supported.

bushwhacker, it is possible to upgrade with newer wifi mpci cards. I have one D600 as well and I tried many different cards. they all work as long as you find a driver. at the moment I run it with a Dell 1470 Dual Band card which worked ok with vista when I played around a bit with it.
hope this helps?

regards, mscrx

Very easy to install but you might want to wait if you have 802.11G on MiniPCI inside. Speeds are pretty much the same. Unless you want HighSpeed 125Mbps but you'll mostly see 54Mbps on PCMICA cards.. N Draft

with the speed you're right but as far as I read it there was a problem with the driver for Windows Vista. the other card I mentioned has a driver for Vista available on the Dell support site.

I have a great idea

Dont upgrade to Vista!

Unless you have to. Vista is still new and has many compatibility issues so unless you buy a new computer or have to have it I would shy away from upgrading at the moment.

if you already have G, going to another G variant won't speed your connection. N is still in draft mode . While faster, it isn't a standard yet and there can be incompatibility issues with the transmitter.

Well, I didn't buy the vista, i downloaded and test on it, apparently the wireless failed the test.

I mainly uses it for mobile and i'm sure vista wiill do fine.

And SP1 is scheduled to be out before end of this year.

I am sure Vista will do fine with your setup and a newer wlan card model. time will show if its gonna be a G or N. most important seems to have it working...

regards, mscrx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back