WiFi problem on my Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballman53187

Ok so ever since I installed my wirless router, my laptop has short bursts where it loses connection. Scenario 1- Loses connection for about 1-2 seconds and reconnects, Scenario 2- Loses complete connection and I have to "Repair" the windows connection. I have a desktop that is also hooked up to the router, but not wirelessly and never loses connection. Is this a problem I'm having with the WiFi adapter in the laptop?

could be either the router or the pc adaptor.

first response here is always search and apply any/all fireware updates to
both adaptors AND to apply any driver updates for the PC adaptor

get the make and model number of both the router and the PC adaptor.

go to the vendor's website and look up support or downloads.

download the appropriate code and install per the instructions.

For the PC driver for the wireless adaptor, get online first.
Then you can go to your Device Manager,
find the device, dbl-click on it for the properties, click the Driver Tab,
and then the Update Driver. BE SURE to save the file found and UPDATE
after you disconnect from the internet -- you can't update the device while in use :)

Do you use a PC Card (pcmcia) wireless card that plugs into a slot on the laptop? We have seen an enormous number of failures of these devices from LinkSys, Belkin, D-Link, Speedstream, and SMC... They light up but work intermittantly, then finally not at all.
Removing the drivers in device manager, then rebooting, and installing the latest driver downloads sometimes helps.

No the wireless internet is built into the Laptop. If it was the router driver, wouldn't it disconnect from the desktop as well?

EDIT: Okay, there are no drivers for the router. Lynksys Wirless G with SRX200, model# WRT54GX2, There was firmware that was realeased at the end of january but A) Idk what that is, B) Idk how to use/install/update it.

Now for the internet adapter, its a Broadcom 80211 b/g WLAN, but i dont know a model number.

no, not at all; it's a radio transmission/reception issue, not ethernet connectivity per se

edit: didn't say router had drivers. it does have firmware -- code that runs inside it, not on your system

add link to the UG

sorry; that's make and model number specific

get your manual or download one and read up on updating your firmware

edit:
the UG is located here

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own. ;)

post your ipconfig /all results please

describe the physical arrangement -- how far is your laptop to the router?

is your router a B/G compatible? if your laptop adaptor is G, then disable
the router B support -- it gets confuse when both are allowed

I cannot attach the IPconfig and i couldnt copy and paste the text so I hosted it on photobucket:

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n186/bballman53187/?action=view&current=ipconfig.jpg

The laptop is either 3 feet from the router, or about 20, depending on what room I'm in.

And the adaptor is b/g compatible, the router is a wirless-g (says on the box) but on the side with the information under "standards" it says "IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3u, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11b"

I don't really know what b/g means in these cases though. If i have to disable the B or G how do I disable the appropriate one?

Something not right with your setup...

1. Uninstall the drivers for wireless
2. Reboot the laptop
3. Next Let Windows install the drivers for the wireless card again it should have done that automatically.. then disable the wireless
4. Do you have wired connection on that laptop? Should?
5. Tried the wired connection first connected to the Router with LAN cable.
6. Do this:

click start
click run
type: cmd
next do route print

and send that image to your photobucket..

7. Enable the wireless
8. do a route print again
Send that image to your photobucket..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back