Wifi Security Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

a1nerd

I am using my wifi card to access free internet offered from a local hotel. The hotel doesnt have a vpn and im wondering how can i encypt my signal so no one can retrive my information?

You can't unless you arrange yourself a crypto peer somewhere (or use only SSL services :) ).

There are free anonymous proxy solutions that support encryption and of course you can set up your own.

WiFI encryption is between 'two-end-points'. For the home user, this means
security between the computer and the router, thus protecting your data from
the neighbor's view. At the hotel (just like other hot-spots) the router needs to
be 'open' so that everyone can connect. These sites can not be secured per the above.

The other end-point model is the formal corporate infrastructure, where you're
literally behide the firewall and have access to the LAN. This link is performed using
VPN hardware or software. Your WiFI may be still active, but the real security is the VPN layer.

That being said, it is possible to secure your EMAIL regardless of where you are connected.

You need an Email Client program like Thunderbird or Outlook Express (if you still trust it :blackeye: )
A PGP implementation to do the encryption/decryption
an to distribute your public key to your correspondants
The process is to create a message, encrypted, and paste into the outbound
email. I use FileAssurity from ArticSoft

Im more conerned about people getting my passwords to my bank accounts. I do have a firewall and thats it.

Could you give me some links to some anonymous proxy solutions?
Nodsu said:
You can't unless you arrange yourself a crypto peer somewhere (or use only SSL services :) ).

There are free anonymous proxy solutions that support encryption and of course you can set up your own.

a1nerd said:
Could you give me some links to some anonymous proxy solutions?
Backup a moment. Regardless of how you connect to the ISP, all websites
asking for personal/private/monitary information (ie banking, online purchases),
OUGHT to be using SSL. This says, the URL should start with https://
and your browser should confirm that encryption is active by some icon in the
window frame (eg: the lock symbol).
If this is NOT TRUE, shame on you - - you just gave away the store :blackeye:
If it is true, then the session is encrypted end-to-end and it's a real pain to get the data; your data is safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back