Wii U sales collapse continues as Nintendo reports third consecutive annual loss

Justin Kahn

Despite fairly steady handheld sales, Nintendo's Wii U has struggled to gain a foothold in the market and is in part responsible for the company reporting annual operating losses for three consecutive years.

The company ended up 46.4 billion yen ($457 million) in the hole with 23.2 billion yen ($228 million) in net losses. The company's flagship home console saw a 20% drop in sales during the quarter ending in March 2014 compared to the year prior, selling only 310,000 units during that time.

Sony has already moved more of its newest generation Playstation 4 consoles than Nintendo has with Wii U. Even with a full year head start, Nintendo has only sold around 6.17 million of its home consoles, compared to Sony having sold 7 million PS4's as of April 6th.

As many have suggested, the Wii U's arguable light library of content is one of the main causes of weak sales numbers, and it sounds as though Nintendo feels the same way. The company expects to get back in the black by the end of fiscal year 2014 largely due to its upcoming titles. At this point the only confirmed major first party games on the way from Nintendo are Mario Kart 8 and the new Super Smash Bros, but it's likely we will hear more from the company come E3 next month.

While Super Mario 3D World released to excellent reviews, it didn't manage to make much of a difference to Wii U sales the way Nintendo is likely hoping Mario Kart 8 will. The long running racer sold almost 35 million units on its last outing for the Wii and has currently sold around 8 million copies of the latest 3DS version.

Permalink to story.

I haven't owned a console since the N64. Not interested in the PlayStation's or XBox's because I have a high-end gaming PC and do my serious gaming on that. But I did miss sitting on the sofa with a controller playing games so invested in the Wii U when I saw one on sale for $250. I felt that the lack of Wii U specific games could be compensated by the original Wii library which the Wii U will run.

Having buyer's remorse now. I hate the large controller, the battery life on it is ridiculously low (less than 2 hours), many of the games make you switch looking at the controller screen then back to your TV which is annoying as hell, the games (in general)) are really childish and even with the "upgraded" graphics, they absolutely pale in comparison to even an average low-budget game on my PC. I'll try a couple of new games I've ordered. But if they aren't compelling, then this thing is going on Craig's List for sale.

Unless they get a flush of top-notch games to drive some sales, I don't know how much longer Nintendo can continue losing this level of money.

From UK's Nintendo Gamer magazine: "Buried in reams of financial data is the revelation that Nintendo have 812.8 billion Yen (£6.7/$10.5 billion) in the bank - enough for it to take a 20 billion Yen loss (£163/$257 million) every year until 2052. Then there's almost 469 billion Yen (£3.8/$6.0 billion) held in premises, equipment and investments. When that runs out - we're in the year 2075 by this point - they've got some of the most valuable intellectual property in gaming to sell off before the company goes out of business."

I haven't owned a console since the N64. Not interested in the PlayStation's or XBox's because I have a high-end gaming PC and do my serious gaming on that. But I did miss sitting on the sofa with a controller playing games so invested in the Wii U when I saw one on sale for $250. I felt that the lack of Wii U specific games could be compensated by the original Wii library which the Wii U will run.

Having buyer's remorse now. I hate the large controller, the battery life on it is ridiculously low (less than 2 hours), many of the games make you switch looking at the controller screen then back to your TV which is annoying as hell, the games (in general)) are really childish and even with the "upgraded" graphics, they absolutely pale in comparison to even an average low-budget game on my PC. I'll try a couple of new games I've ordered. But if they aren't compelling, then this thing is going on Craig's List for sale.

Unless they get a flush of top-notch games to drive some sales, I don't know how much longer Nintendo can continue losing this level of money.
Well Nintendo has literally a couple billion dollars they can just choose to blow laying around so they could hold onto it for awhile. Its starting to sound to me like they may go ahead and move to a new platform in the next few years since they stated Wii U is an official failure.
Cant forget Xbox one selling one console since december.
5million in 13 countries vs 7million in 72. mhmmm

What I hear at certain stores, that the Nintendo Reps admit that they are not really focusing on the Wii U but more on the DS.

I am primarily a PC game, since I feel that consoles are toned downed PCs. I've tried to continue to give Nintendo a chance because of games like Zelda, Metroid, and etc.. but I keep feeling screwed over.

Well Nintendo has literally a couple billion dollars they can just choose to blow laying around so they could hold onto it for awhile. Its starting to sound to me like they may go ahead and move to a new platform in the next few years since they stated Wii U is an official failure.

5million in 13 countries vs 7million in 72. mhmmm

72 countries sounds sexy but you have to realize that not every country has intelligent rich families that earn $100k a year, and no PS4 sold 7mill+ and Xbox one only sold one... bill gates bought it...

72 countries sounds sexy but you have to realize that not every country has intelligent rich families that earn $100k a year, and no PS4 sold 7mill+ and Xbox one only sold one... bill gates bought it...
Guess 15 of my friends and I are Bill Gates then... Along with the other millions of people.

Yeah I would expect all of those complaints. Nintendo just cant compete with the Wii U's current game lineup.

Release a wii U with the pro controller or whatever, without a tablet, for $99 and watch them fly off the bloody shelves.

Release a wii U with the pro controller or whatever, without a tablet, for $99 and watch them fly off the bloody shelves.

Nintendo called, they said you are hired.

you have no crash bandicoot games? wtf

Nintendo needs to quit hardware and become a software only developer. Develop same titles for Sony and XBOX.

I used to love Nintendo but it has been too many years of dumb mistake after dumb mistake
they deserve to die

I wouldnt buy thw wii U at any price, I simple dont trust the company anymore, I know there will be like 4-5 games worth playing and for that I will just borrow/rent a console, not buy

With Sony's weak lineup, and Xbox's weak reputation, Nintendo could really shine if they release a new system next year. Graphics tech would be more than 2x the PS4 and could probably compete on price. Something on the level with an R9 290/GTX 780 with a real CPU Core i7 mobile or something to keep power down. Reuse the gamecube controller with an added bumper and pressable joysticks. This way you don't get sued for using someone else's controller style (Apparently this happens anytime a new controller comes out now.) Then wham, you're back in the game, have the best graphics, and you know Sony & MS won't ditch their systems for at least 3 more years. Dominate the hardcore market with actual 1080P graphics at a $399 price tag. They obviously have the money to do this. Even if they lost $100 per system, they'd gain market share. Sure WiiU adopters will be screwed, but it's obvious that there aren't enough of them to really matter anyway. The platform being X86/X64 means all 3rd party games can easily port to the platform. Keep the online gaming Free, with superior hardware, all 3rd party support, and the iconic 1st party games, MS & Sony wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

I initially thought that the Wii-U was just a minor HD upgrade from the Wii. I didn't know that it was a console in the same league as an Xbox 360 or PS3. But, the lack in first party titles really never compelled me to look at the game console. Stores in my area don't have Wii-U isles, it's more like a row of shelves with a few game titles. I watched some first party titles go straight to 3D-DS and skipped Wii-U. I think that took a lot of interest from console sales. I'd love to have played the latest Zelda or Luigi Mansion on a console with a friend. There's a half-dozen more games that should have been made for Wii-U which were never announced. Almost as if Nintendo themselves lost interest in the console system too.

With Sony's weak lineup, and Xbox's weak reputation, Nintendo could really shine if they release a new system next year. Graphics tech would be more than 2x the PS4 and could probably compete on price. Something on the level with an R9 290/GTX 780 with a real CPU Core i7 mobile or something to keep power down.
I stopped reading here. PS4 is $400. R9 290 is $400+, i7's start at $200. Be realistic, then try again.

...and of course continue focus on mobile/portable where they are still strong. Its becoming less and less about hardware and more about software.

I am not surprised at this. We had the Wii. After like having it for a year it started crapping out on us. The controls stopped being so accurate. We even had them on chargers and they still weren't as sensitive as they used to be.

Why don't they cut the price of the Wii-U to 200 and sell everything they have? They deserve what they are getting for messing on all of their fans with super-expensive, and crappy consoles.

I am not surprised at this. We had the Wii. After like having it for a year it started crapping out on us. The controls stopped being so accurate. We even had them on chargers and they still weren't as sensitive as they used to be.

They have made improvement on the controllers for the black models on Wii. New controllers are not cheap you can get them cheap if you order through ebay from a China or Twain Vendor. Then hope he or she doesn't send you wrong controller for your Wii. That's the only drawback going that way.

Wii white and black models had a lot of issues. They have dropped the Weather and news features from them. So that feature is dead. I hardly use my Wii Black and did think about getting the Wii-U as upgrade but the price is outrageous for them.

They have made improvement on the controllers for the black models on Wii. New controllers are not cheap you can get them cheap if you order through ebay from a China or Twain Vendor. Then hope he or she doesn't send you wrong controller for your Wii. That's the only drawback going that way.

Wii white and black models had a lot of issues. They have dropped the Weather and news features from them. So that feature is dead. I hardly use my Wii Black and did think about getting the Wii-U as upgrade but the price is outrageous for them.

hmm I just don't think I want to invest anymore into this. My dad's Wii crapped out after like having it for 6 months, Now its only used for Netflix lol.

Back