Wildtangent plugin for Winamp, is it really harmful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

julks

OK, those plugins with chicks dancing and stuff is cool, but I saw a lot of comments (on the Winamp's site) saying they are spyware...

What is the truth?
Is it really harmful?
I'm using Norton Internet Security 2002, which have Firewall. Is it enough to be safe?

Like always, thanks for your attention.

download the new ad aware and after you install the plugin run ad-aware and if the plugin contains a spyware file, ad aware will find it and delete for you..

you can get ad aware at lavasoftusa.com

Spyware isn't anything harmful, but it can be considered an invasion of rights, IMO of course. It'll just monitor the websites you go to so Winamp can sell the info to other companies.

I also run Norton Antivirus 2002 and I think it is very secure, but it will not stop spyware from being on your computer (in my case it's Kazaa's spyware) so you will need to download a program such as svtcobra suggested. Adware is supposed to be one of the best programs for removing spyware so I highly recommend it.

Worst case scenario is that spyware will slow down your computer. At least mine does when I'm running Kazaa and I'm on a cable modem so I notice the difference quite easily.

svtcobra:

OK, I'll try the software you indicated, thanks.

SuperCheetah:

I love Kazaa, and right now, it's downloading lots of stuff (you know...) so even the "Post Reply" page of the forum took forever to load... I'm on a 256/64 ADSL connection...
Is it (Kazaa) slowing down your computer? I didn't feel so much of a diference... Maybe because I'm always running this proggy :D

Kazaa is spyware too, hmmmmm :mad:

Thanks for the replies guys! Anyone else?

Here is the proof for the Kazaa spyware arguement in a previous post from myself. There is also an Ad free version you can download. Just follow the link:

http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=883

I think all the spyware is what is slowing the system down, at least in my opinion. It doesn't really slow it down alot, but it is noticeable. I still can't complain cause my cable connection is extremely fast! :)

I just scanned the system with Ad-aware v5.7.
And it found 7 entries, 5 of them was related to Kazaa (if not more). So, I backuped all the entries and wanted to exclude all to find what could happen, but there are two options: ignore, or exlude...
I don't know what is the diference, so I choose to "ignore" all of the entries. Scanned again and the Ad-aware told me no entries were found... Should I choose the other option (exlude)?

Ignore will make Ad-Aware think that those entries are actualyl good entries, meaning it will no longer consider them SPyWare & will leave them alone.

I generally delete the SpyWare entries I find.

You generally get a message saying that Ad programs ( such as FlashGet, Go!Zilla, etc... ) will not work but I've found out that they actually do work. In the space where you would normally have the Ad, it's just stays blank. I've never tryed it with WildTangent programs. I'm not much into visual plug ins ( allthough the Black & White bear is hilarious :cool: ).

I've heard Kazaa will not work if you disable the ads although there are several ways of doing this supposedly. Here is a link telling you how to disable ads in Kazaa:

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/search.asp?s=kazaa
Remove Ads from KaZaA
Written By: Chris Scallion | Views: 16193 | Print Tweak | 2/25/2002

Tired of all the ads at the bottom of Kazaa, not to mention the ads Kazaa causes to pop up? Here is a tweak to end all Kazaa related ads.

1. With KaZaA closed navigate to C:\Windows\System32\AdCache
2. Delete all files within 'AdCache', leave the 'Temp' folder but make sure it is empty
3. Right click on the folder 'AdCache' & select properties
4. Navigate to the Security tab
5. In the group or user name box, select administrator, or the appropriate user (anyone who runs kazaa)
6. In the permissions box deny write access
7. Repeat for all necessary users and click 'OK'

Generally, program developers like to say they will not work, but in reality they always end up working one way or another.

Did you see the new release of Kazaa? v1.6...
But I haven't found any diference, maybe they just put more spyware on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back