Will 420W power supply be enough for this rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimla

Power Supply 420 Watt
Processor ( AMD AthlonT64 X2 6000+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology )
Processor Cooling ( [=== Silent ===] Thermaltake MaxOrb CPU Cooling Fan System Kit Silent & Overclocking Proof = Maximum cooling efficiency for quietness and performance )
Motherboard ( MSI K9A Platinum AMD-Crossfire-580X Chipset w/7.1 Audio , Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB )
Memory ( 2048 [512MB X4] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair XMS2 Xtreme w/Heat Spreader )
Video Card ( 2x ATI Radeon HD 2400XT 256MB PCI-Express x16 )
Hard Drive ( 320 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache] )
CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( [** Special !!! ***] 18X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black )
Sound Card ( Creative Lab Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series)
Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )

Ignore him. The answer is "no".

dimla said:
Power Supply 420 Watt
Processor ( AMD AthlonT64 X2 6000+ Dual-Core CPU...
Motherboard ( MSI K9A Platinum AMD-Crossfire-580X Chipset w/7.1 Audio
Video Card ( 2x ATI Radeon HD 2400XT 256MB PCI-Express x16 )
Hard Drive ( 320 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache] )
CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( [** Special !!! ***] 18X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black )
Ignore him. You need a good 550+ or more psu (the more the better). A 420W psu would be about a "bare minimum", but Crossfire slaved Radeon Video Cards will draw a lot of power, and a 6000+ Athlon is likewise power hungry.

Monitor your heat levels CLOSELY on this rig because you're going to be generating a lot of it. If you need to add more fans or go the water-cooled route, that too takes more power.

550 to 600 should give you more than enough wiggle room with room to grow. Put the 420 in the closet and hold on to it as an emergency backup.

Just out of curiosity, what brand is the 420? I went HERE to calculate your power need and it came out to 625watts. I had to make a few guesses but I think I came close. Not nearly enough power in the psu you have chosen. You might want to look at the OCZ Gamestream psu, very popular.

I would say NO. Unless you have a high quality psu. Instead of thinking watts, you should think about amps. I have basically the same set-up as you:
3 sata drives
4 sticks ram
sound card
video card
cpu- I have a 5000+

6000+'s are nice but they don't run cheap. My cpu uses 65w. Guess what your's uses? 125w
My psu is 22amps and I need to upgrade it when I upgrade my video card.
Remember, your cpu is always on and drawing power.

your psu probably would be underpowered.

google "psu calculator" use a free tool and add 30% for cushion.

I bought a Thermaltake "ToughPower" 550w myself, which has served me well despite the ridicule I've received from others about my choice.

If I had it to do over again (and had more money), I would of liked to have purchased the higher end version with detachable cables. Makes for less clutter inside the case and better airflow if you can simply unplug any wires you don't need from the PSU. A windowed case looks better too with when it's not stuffed full of loose wires.

you can check out tomshardware.com and read their torture tests of psus. Their 2006 test was extensive.

One question before I recommend anything, why are you running two HD2400s in Crossfire? They're such weak cards that the extra power needed and heat generated outpaces any actual performance benefits. Get an 8800GTS 320MB or an 8600GT\HD2600XT and save some money on that new PSU and card. Any 600-650W PSU from Antec, Thermaltake, Corsair, Enermax, FSP Fortron, Cooler Master, Silverstone or PC Power & Cooling will do.

Mugsy said:
I bought a Thermaltake "ToughPower" 550w myself, which has served me well despite the ridicule I've received from others about my choice.

If I had it to do over again (and had more money), I would of liked to have purchased the higher end version with detachable cables. Makes for less clutter inside the case and better airflow if you can simply unplug any wires you don't need from the PSU. A windowed case looks better too with when it's not stuffed full of loose wires.

don't listen. Thermaltake is a great company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back