Will a p4 2.8g 512k 533fsb Skt478 be suitable for my mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Have A Intel D845ebg2 Mobo And Currently On It I Have Intel P4 Cpu 2.0g 512k 400fsb Skt478, I Want To Put In A 2.8g 512k 533fsb Skt478, The Shop I Went To Tells Me I Cant (which I Feel Theyre Pathological Liars) As They Want Me To Buy Something Else From Them. After An 2hours Of Waiting At The Front Desk The Guy Tells Me My Mobo Supports Only 400fsb And Not 533, Intel Specs Show That This Board Supports Both Types 400/533..im In Doubt Now....so If Anyone Out There Has An Intel D845ebg2 Board With A 2.8g Cpu 512k 533fsb Cud Tell Me...maybe Then I Cud Believe That It Does Work...this Issue Is Driving Me Crazy As I Have Already Ordered And Paid For A New Cpu 2.8g 512k 533fsb Skt478....am Not Computer Literate And Admit It..please Advise

ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845ebg2/A8491301.pdf

In the overview of the mobo, directly off the intel site, it says it is compatable with 533 mhz bus. It also needs to be the right socket, which is 478 for that motherboard. I think the p4 2.8's come as socket 478, but I'm not 100% sure. But it looks that if the socket is right, it should work from everything I see. I would trust intel over the shop you took it to since intel is the one that created it.

I SINCERELY THANK YOU TCOOL FOR YOUR REPLY, MUCH APPRECIATED. MY PROBLEM IS THAT IM NEW TO THE FORUM THING AND NEVER BEEN ON ONE AND IT TAKES ME A LONG WHILE TO FIGURE OUT WHICH PAGES TO INTO AND OUT OF, I KEEP GETTING LOST ALL THE TIME ITS BY CHANCE ONCE AGAIN I STUMBLED HERE.....
WELL THE 2.8G THAT IVE ORDERED FOR AND STILL TO RECIEVE..SPECS READ AS FOLLOWS...INTEL P4 2.8GHZ 512K CACHE L2 533MHZ FSB and PGA478 socket type.

I also Thank kitty500cat for the reply posted, i went into the newegg link and read the reviews, sounds promising and looks like i made a good choice, i only REGRET having come to TechSpot so late, that i already purchased a 2.8g on ebay and it costed me CAD $ 228 WHEREAS NEWEGG is selling at $89,huh. well im still to recieve the cpu from the seller in shipping.

What I Now Want To Know Is When I Switch The 2.0g Cpu For The 2.8ghz Is There Any Thing Else I Shud Know About Or Beaware Of.....like Are There Any Changes To Be Made In My System....as When I Last Spoke To Intel Support On The Phone They Told Me To Download The Latest Version Of Bios Which I Did, I Priorly Had Bios P04 Now I Have P08....also I Have Never Attempted This Before By Myself..so I Was Wondering If Shud There Be Any Adverse Effects Like What Shud I Do? Hope Nothing Blows Up In My Face ..scared Of Fireworks....please Advise..thanks

Just make sure you put the processor in properly. It'll only fit one way, so if its not fitting, don't try to force it just check it over to find out exactly which way to put it. There should be one corner with an arrow that will coinside with an arrow on the motherboard. Also, just make sure to clean off the bottom of the heatsink good, and the spot on the processor wher the heatsink connects(drawing a blank on what its called right now, stupid brain farts :stickout: ). I'm pretty sure there is some good advice about that in the cooling forum here. But, don't worry bout it "blowing up", the p4's have a nice little feature that will shut them off before they burn out. Thank god for that feature, or I would've fried a couple of them now. I don't think there should be anything else to change, if you have a book for your motherboard I'd just read up on it to make sure. There are jumper settings for cpu's but mine have always had an auto detect kinda setting that it was already on when I got it so I've never had to mess with them. If you don't have the book, you can always go back to that link I stuck up there and read up in there.

Thanks A Million

Hey Tcool Are You Still On The Forums.........i Was Wondering About The "jumpers"" Ooops Whats That Now...........

Well, I was just looking through my mobo book about installing a cpu and mine has nothing about jumpers, and doesn't even show jumpers on the layout for the cpu. I have seen jumpers in some older mobo's, but I personally have never had to mess with them, I believe they had to do with setting some sort of frequency but have always had an option for some kind of auto select, I'm not sure if this is something only in way older mobo's or not. The more I look at newer equipments specs and information the more I think this was something that was mainly only on older mobo's. It looks to me that all you really need to do is put the processor in, attach the heatsink and fan, and it should be good. Just make sure you properly attach the heatsink.

Thanks A Million, Db845ebg2

Tcool Thanks Alot For The Help N Advice, Even I Too Was Reading Certain Intel Specs I Dont See Anything About Jumpers , As I Dont Have A Book For My Mobo, Guess Ill Do Just Like What You Say, I Stick It In Nice And Careful, Well Now I Have To Go Buy An Antistatic Wrist Strap As Thats What The Intel Site Says Prevent Static

Yeah, its very important to protect your computer from static electricity, it can do a lot of damage to your computer. An antistatic wrist strap is a very good idea. Your welcome for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back