TechSpot

Will A P4 CPU with 800mhz FSB work in a Discovery (MS-6506) 400mhz FSB Motherboard ?

By SkyDwellah
Jul 28, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just this quick question: Will A P4 CPU with 800mhz FSB work in a Discovery (MS-6506) 400mhz FSB Motherboard ? If Yes Which one ?

I'll prob get a better MB in the future i just want to try this one first though.
    TIA to anyone who can help.
  2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

It will run at half speed. It would be much better to get a motherboard which properly supports the FSB.
  3. SkyDwellah

SkyDwellah TS Rookie Topic Starter

Okay thanks, by half speed do you mean that if it is a P4 2.4ghz 800mhz cpu, it will then act/perform as a 1.2ghz cpu if ran at 400mhz?
  4. C_Conqueror

C_Conqueror TS Rookie Posts: 217

It just means that the fsb will run at half speed.
  5. SkyDwellah

SkyDwellah TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thankyou for the info, i'll use the old MBoard for now then upgrade later to a new one that supports 800mhz fsb.
  6. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Since the total clockspeed depends on the FSB both the FSB & the clockspeed will be at half (1200mhz for clockspeed & 100mhz for the FSB).
  7. C_Conqueror

C_Conqueror TS Rookie Posts: 217

Man I didn't know that. I am starting to look very stupid now.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.