Will a Win ME CD key work with Win 98SE? I need to downgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a client who hired someone else to "fix" their PC. This person installed an illegal copy of Win XP Pro.

She has now hired me to reinstall a legal copy of Win ME but would prefer that I downgrade her to Win 98SE. ( I agree with her decision as I hate ME.)

Anyway, will her ME key work on 98SE and would this be permissible? I do not have a copy of Win 98SE EULA or Win ME Eula...just my copy of the CD?

We try very hard to do everything "by the book."

Dennis

I'm 99% sure it will NOT work. As far as legalities - her WinME Eula doesn't apply to a copy of Win98, and I'm not 100% sure about your right to transfer ownership of a copy of Win98 to her. I "think" if you have a full version of Win98SE and are willing to give it to her (meaning that serial won't be used elsewhere) then that is legal.

Glad to see someone doing things by the book :)

If you really have a legal copy
call M$ give them the holographic numbers from the inside edge of disc. they will give you a reg key,at least they gave me one.
PS thats only for retail disc forget the oem disc it won't happen

Whats wrong with ME? The only problems Ive run into were with upgrades from 98. Ive found that a clean install of ME with System Restore turned off works really well.

vegasgmc said:
Whats wrong with ME? The only problems Ive run into were with upgrades from 98. Ive found that a clean install of ME with System Restore turned off works really well.

Agreed !

patio. :cool:

ME is a highly UNSTABLE version of windows. It was notorious for getting corrupt and crashing. 98 was far more stable. ME is basically 98 with some stuff added that made it unstable.

ME was quickly ditched by M$.

After applying common-sense tweaks i have had no problems with it whatsoever...
Currently running it on a 3 boot 98/ME/XP Pro system.

I've heard all the nightmare stories with ME...maybe i just got a really good CD :grinthumb

patio. :cool:

just up'd a client from ME to W$K spk3
ME ran for 4 years on the machine no prblems,not one crash.
I did upG for my benefit,since they did not do much it was what I knew more of I don't even remember much of 95 or 98.I think they miss ME had to help few times with the new feel of it.

I believe certain sets of hardware had no problems with WinME, but specific pieces could cause havoc. When ME came out I installed it on 2 machines - one machine ran it flawlessly - the other machine had to be constantly reformated and was never stable till I put WinXP on it a while later. I personally won't use any of the older Windows OSes mainly because I feel I NEED NTFS or some other filesystem than FAT or FAT32.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back